Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

So here is the joke. Do all 3 of these go on the outside of the kick panel? The last one, which is the black box with the Mitsubishi stamping on it, does not fit with the Hood release handel and the Power Window unit. Do I have something bass ackwards?

With black box.

Carpet001.jpg

Without black box.

Carpet002.jpg

Also, if anyone knows off hand, do these look correct? The two bullet connectors on the right run off the main harness and into the rear driver door? Just want to double check, before I put power to anything.

Carpet005.jpg

Carpet008.jpg

Carpet007.jpg

Carpet009.jpg

So here is the joke. Do all 3 of these go on the outside of the kick panel? The last one, which is the black box with the Mitsubishi stamping on it, does not fit with the Hood release handel and the Power Window unit. Do I have something bass ackwards?

With black box.

Carpet001.jpg

Without black box.

Carpet002.jpg

What's that black box for? The electric window box, the one I've been talking about should mount behind the kick panel. I can't remember how the MY's do it but the L series is designed with the kick panel free of the bonnet release handle bracket...

Cheers

Bennie

Tom, I forgot I had that picture! Now I see how everything goes. Hood release first, then the long power windeo unit is turn horizontal and faces the firewall, then the little black box mounts vertical.

Bennie, I have no idea what the little box is for. I have a different box for the windows, so I dunno.

As for the kick panel, it is not free on these EA81s like it is on the L-series. You have to unbolt all this crap to remove the cover.

Cheers!

Alright, everything is back in, for the interior, minus the passenger and rear seat. Everything seems to work, Power windows, Door warning lights, Dome Light.

Although I still have no idea what these are for? Are these for a factory option I don't have? I don't want to put the passenger seat in, until I know what they are.

PlugOS1001.jpg

I kinda forgot how cramped this car is, compared to the EA82, wow.

I'm just gonna say these plugs aren't important, and put my seat in, so I'm done with the interior!

I bought some Brass Bat terminals today. I installed some new colored Led ones, but one broke in half, cheap crap. These are more heavy duty.

Where would Subaru get these exact screws? Just some new ones would be nice! A Hardware store has to stock then, yeah?

Got the rear disc setup from Subruise! AWESOME MAN!! :headbang:

Need to get everything painted up. Thinking Red, with White or Black for the Tokico stamping.

2012_0607AA.jpg

2012_0607AB.jpg

2012_0607AD.jpg

Just out of curiosity, not criticizing at all, why not put the rear discs on your Loyale instead of this?

Cause this thing needs full rear brakes, and I am not gonna drop money on drum parts. So disc it is! :) The Loyale will get a disc conversion someday.

Where would Subaru get these exact screws? Just some new ones would be nice! A Hardware store has to stock then, yeah?

Got the rear disc setup from Subruise! AWESOME MAN!! :headbang:

Need to get everything painted up. Thinking Red, with White or Black for the Tokico stamping.

2012_0607AA.jpg

2012_0607AB.jpg

2012_0607AD.jpg

ooo yeah! nothin like stuff that isnt a pile of rust yet eh?

Cause this thing needs full rear brakes, and I am not gonna drop money on drum parts. So disc it is! :) The Loyale will get a disc conversion someday.

Ahhh ok, so the drums on this are shot, so might as well around the same money on an upgrade instead of replacing with same old stuff. Gotcha! Yeah rear disc is nice, I loved them on my BRAT. But I definitely suggest them on your Loyale as well!

Ha!

Yeah I would like disc on the Loyale since I have 27s, stopping power is there, but not enough to lock them up on dry pavement (Poor mans ABS?)

Yeah everything on the GL brake wise needs a refresh. The drums are grooved and rusted pretty good. Backing plate is gone, needs new spring kit and shoes. So why not upgrade! :cool:

Needless to save, these brakes won't meet the fate of the ones currently on the car. I am going to paint the caliper and bracket, gloss Gray with Black lettering (Probably clear them after) I will redo the backing plates Semi-gloss black (If you have a better color in mind? Post it up!)

I still need to buy some hard line and unions to run down to the soft caliper line.

Rear Calipers, before/after :)

2012_0609AB.jpg

Changed out the battery terminals with Brass and 24k gold plated. Should be the best connectivity I can get. I did the same thing on the EA82, and all day its been way more peppy, could I have been getting lower voltage with the stock terminals?

I tell you, there is a notable difference, even in this humid 80* temps, the power is there, wow!

2012_0609AE.jpg

Clean connections make a big difference. Cleaned the terminals on a buddy of mines work truck because he said it had been hard to start. Had to jump it a few times, and he was complaining that his boss wouldn't put a new battery in it. Popped the hood and the tops were clean between the terminals and posts was nothing but white/green crust. Brushed it all off and clamped it back down, it went from barely turning over to starting at the touch of the key, with nothing more than clean terminals.

So many people don't keep their terminals clean, the corrosion robs sooo much juice its crazy. My battery is always clean :headbang:

Got all the brake parts painted. Put the passenger side backing plate on, but need to buy some hardware for the Caliper bracket, some of its missing thanks to USPS!