Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Does anyone else think the EA81 wagon is a cramped Mofo behind the wheel? Just sitting in it and my little man is cramped and squished, and then your left leg is bent oddly when using the clutch. Who the hell designed this car? The Loyale is sooo damn roomy compared to this thing, and I have yet to drive it since I bought it. Maybe it feels better when you're driving, I forgot lol.

XT6 seats would definetly be better, but just fitting EA82 seats in would help.

The White '86 BRAT had stock seats, so did the '85 BRAT when I bought it. But,, I swapped some EA82 seats into it shortly after getting it as originals were toast. Better ride comfort in it compared to the '86.

I stand 6'-2" and run around 235-240 lbs, 34" inseam, 33" cuff for the sleeves. I sit with seat all the way back and tipped back against the cab wall, but I fit comfortably.

I have a set of Grey XT6 seats here. You can look at them when you get here, have to get them down out of the rafters 1st. More then welcome to sit/drive in the BRAT for a comfort test.

forget the xt6 seats. youre gonna have to trade me cars. mine has rear xmember/ brakes/ sway bar from a gl 10. and its a ea82, that way youd have Safariwagon and Crapwagon 1 (5mt). its only a few days drive, meet you in montana? i miss my 83 wagon.

So do the EA82 seat tracks bolt in place of the factory EA81 ones? Or do I just need to swap tracks around? I really don't want to swap seats in this thing, since the interior is really nice, and everything matches! But I totally agree, the EA82 seats feel better, more firm and hug you. Guess we'll see how it feels once I start driving it.

Tom, XT6 seats are awesome! I was looking for a set for the EA82 when Fox had two XT6s, He had some gray ones that almost matched the stock EA82 seats. I'd like to go for a ride in a Brat, haven't rode in a Brat since Desmond Jones had the '86 with EJ22 swap and shot suspension and trans (Didn't drive the best)

Rob, Oooo I always wanted a Crapwagon. Suppose I should've keep the Legacy then ;) You meet me in Chicago, and you might have a deal. Although, you'll need a carb and clutch for mine :-p

Man, untill I completely re-do it, my interior will never ever look that good. It's so clean, I can hardly believe it is original. If I didn't know better I would say it wasn't. It looks awesome!

So what did you end up deciding on wheels? I'm having a hard time deciding what to do for mine, I will need new tires before winter. :burnout:

Put the wheels and rear dampers on, and set it back on the ground! I still new new pads all the way around, front rotors need to be turned, Calipers need to be painted. Still need Carb, Axle, Clutch, Front diff oil changed.

The front struts are adjusted all the way up. Once I get the 16" wheels, I will then adjust it down a little as needed to get a nice stance. Hoping the rear adjuster turns.

2012_0614AH.jpg

2012_0614AI.jpg

So, there was no 1983 Olympics (Winter or Summer) It was 1984 which held the Winter olympics in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. The U.S held 4 Gold Medalists and 4 Silver Medalists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_at_the_1984_Winter_Olympics

Its a PITA to find info about the 1980s U.S Ski Team, I'm trying to find a list with their names, photos would also be awesome! I had the idea of finding one of them on Facebook, and PM'ing an image of my resto to them "Remember This!?"

So, I am guessing my car was a fleet car for the 1984 Olympics? Would they have imported some of their fleet cars to where they were competing? Trying to get an idea of where my car could have went!

I still need to do a Carfax....

I actually have the Window sticker for this car! $8,200 bucks total.

I was reading the list of stuff that came with the car, there is only one thing I don't have a clue what it is. What is a Telltale Monitor, it was marked as "No charge" so it was Factory?

This car also had the Pullout shade, which I didn't get, damn!

I actually have the Window sticker for this car! $8,200 bucks total.

I was reading the list of stuff that came with the car, there is only one thing I don't have a clue what it is. What is a Telltale Monitor, it was marked as "No charge" so it was Factory?

This car also had the Pullout shade, which I didn't get, damn!

I think the tell-tale monitor is the small car digram that shows you which door is open...

the Pullout Shade (Cargo cover) shouldn't be too hard to find... you just have to convince someone to sell one... Even if you get a "sprung" one that's unrolled, the ea81 style is easily re-rolled and re-set....

Mick, that is what I was thinking. Dunno why they consider that a key option to list lol. I guess in the 80s it was an innovative idea.

Do the EA81 shades rattle as much as the EA82 shades? The on it my Loyale is the culprit to most of the noise back there, but it works just perfectly, though I never use it.

Gonna have something new to post tonight...!