Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Thats a good idea, I may do that later on. I just want to get this thing running again. Plus I already put the adapter on and sealed the gasket with RVT Black. I did connect that Coolant hose, we'll see if I get any leaks.

So, The only thing I didn't get with my kit, was the throttle cable bracket. Shows it in the picture, but I didn't get it. So I contacted the seller about it. You cannot use the stock cable bracket that is on the manifold, as the cable will barely reach even at WOT. The Weber bracket will work perfect once I get it!

DGEV002.jpg

Now for some questions:

Should I follow what this says? Connect the EGR and Disty Advance to the front ports of the carb?

DGEV005.jpg

I do not have the Idle Cut-Off valve (Anti-Dieseling Valve?) Do I need to get one? I also don't have the barb for the Vapor vent to canister. Mine has a gapping hole where it would go..? As you can see in this picture.

DGEV003.jpg

Where is my wire/connector for the Electronic Choke? I no longer have the old Hitachi.

DGEV008.jpg

The big line is my Supply, and small one my fingers are on is my return? Where would the return run to? The instrctions do say anything about it.

DGEV007.jpg

The Adapter!

DGEV004.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

you can put another fitting on the weber pointed towards the front of the car that would be for the return line, or you can just leave it off. I've done it both ways... or you can reuse the feed off the hitachi. it will screw right into the weber... and it already has a return fitting on it...

you do not need the anti-diesel solenoid, and there is a hole there, but its not an open hole... if that makes sense...it would have to be drilled and tapped to fit the ADS in.

So I found a post by JesZek, which helps with the PCV hose routing. I think this is the way I am going to go.

SubaruWeberHoses-02.jpg

GD said that if you do not reduce the size of the fittings used, the suction will be to great, and will start sucking oil up from the heads.

But I have a decent idea what I'm gonna do.

The rest of that thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98693

If I had a flat templete and a CNC, I would make my own as well lol ;) I could probably make my own, but then again, I paid for one, and I didn't get it...

$.50 part, give it to me... :cool:

it's a nice addition, but most of the time I have just taken a flat 1/2 steel piece and cut, drilled, bent to fit, and attach it to the manifold...

don't forget the throttle return spring... I've done those lots of ways. hooked to the bottom of the air cleaner plate, hooked to the radiator, hooked to a custom bracket that was attached to the choke...

Ok, the pedal/Throttle seems to spring back like it should, I'll see how it is once its running, and ad a helper if needed.

So am I dumb, or...? Where is my original Electroic choke wire? I've looked all over the engine bay, and don't remember what used to plug into the carb. None of the open connectors I've seen look like they were for the carb, so?

Ok, the pedal/Throttle seems to spring back like it should, I'll see how it is once its running, and ad a helper if needed.

So am I dumb, or...? Where is my original Electroic choke wire? I've looked all over the engine bay, and don't remember what used to plug into the carb. None of the open connectors I've seen look like they were for the carb, so?

there should have been a wiring harness for the intake. the oil pressure sender is part of it. one of the connectors off it would be the choke wire. but it's a a 2 lead connector. you just need to create a jumper wire from it to the weber choke. you need one that in +12V only when the IGN is on.

So this is the only connector within reaching distance to where the original carb harness would have connected. It is a 3-spade terminal.

Here is its location:

EC001.jpg

I did a test, the Blue wire must be a ground as there is no voltage going to it with the key turned to "On" The 3 black/white wires have 11.98v to them with the key to ON. So does it matter which one I connect to the Webers Choke? I assume one of these wires was for the Anti-dieseling solenoid on the other carb.

EC003.jpg

EC002.jpg

Just wanted to double check before I go and do something. lol

What I think I am going to do, to make the connection look more finished/factory is, get another Female end of this 3-spade male end, only use one spade in the casing, so it clips to the wire I want. This way it'll be plug'N play, and it'll be solid and finished.

Guess I gotta hit the JY for the female connector (I don't have one)

The blue wire is for the choke eh, mine does not have any current running to it though? Only the Black wires. Guess I'll try it both ways, and see which wire I should use.

So here is the Cable Bracket which I got today! That really works nice.

2012_0630AA.jpg

2012_0630AB.jpg

I got these PCV T-connectors from an SPFI EA82. These will be used for my PCV lines, the Blue one has a restricted diameter inside, which will be perfect, as not to suck oil into the air cleaner.

2012_0630AD.jpg

The black one is an unrestricted T-connector.

2012_0630AE.jpg

I will be getting the Male spade terminals I ordered, next week. I will then buy some 22ga and make the connector for the choke!

I looked at a '83 GL with a Hitachi at the boneyard today, indeed, the blue wire does run to the Choke. Guess I will use that Terminal to connect to the Weber (once I get get the terminals I ordered)

Things needed to run:

1 Inline Fuel Filter (IN/OUT only, no Vent)

2 Vacuum Cap-off set

3 4ft of various vac line

4 Molded Coolant-bypass hose

5 Fuel

Still need:

1 Clutch Kit

2 Brake Pads all around

3 Metal Brake line and Unions

4 Complete Custom made Exhaust/Header

5 Driver Side Axle