Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Cool. I will write down the part number so I have something to go by if I'm not able to buy that one.

I think a little sportier wheel would be cool in the GL, but not something that doesn't work with the interior and throws off the balance.

How come everyone tries to buy the Boss adapters from AU, which are a PITA to get in the US, if you can just buy this one from MOMO? Or are these getting hard to find as well?

Ah, he does. Maybe I can grab one before they all sell out. Because we all know there is a run on swapping $300 steering wheels into 1980s Subarus :-p

So, I went to O'Reilys and got a molded hose for the bypass.

2012_0706AA.jpg

Part number is Gates ECR 28467 about $10.

2012_0706AB.jpg

I also routed the Valve cover vent hoses, I just need to get another molded elbow so I can then tie the PCV to them and run it all to one port on the Air cleaner (Hence the 2nd black T connector.)

2012_0706AC.jpg

2012_0706AD.jpg

I also picked up a set of '93 Impreza hubcaps for $15 for laughs. They don't seem to clip into the Wagon wheels very well? Kinda a PITA to get them popped on.

2012_0706AE.jpg

These are just temp until I get the 16" trailer wheels. I was thinking of repainting the caps white (Looks like Golf balls Ha!) but I may repaint the wagon wheels as well. I also have a different set of hubcaps coming from Skylar, they are 1985, what you would find on an XT (Solid with lines)

Its been flippin' hot all week 100+ with 70% Humidity, so I haven't done much, that and having no money haha.

Edited by TheLoyale

The bay is looking nice. Good idea replacing the hoses. I had one of mine blow out on the way to work one morning, made for an interesting start to the day... I hear you on the heat it was like 90*+ the last three days, and I've been sanding on the VW...

Oh balls. I hate body work on hot days! At least the VW isn't the largest car in the world, but still. I give you credit for doing it in this heat! Although, I am the same way and would probably do it too.

Got any updated pics of it?

Yeah it's basically a shell, far more dismantled than my GL ever got. Hopefully you don't have to take this car down as far, it's been a pain. I don't want to think about how many sanding discs I have used in the last 3 days.

945500.jpg

Wow, that thing is stripped, and is coming along! It was blue when I first saw it, right?

Yeah I know about going through discs and cutting wheels. I went through enough cutting discs and flapper discs from just doing all the welding and patchs on the GL.

I really want to do a pro job on the GL when I repaint it, perhaps it comes from watch "Chop cut rebuild" maybe thats just too extream for this car, but I just want to do a real quality job, to prove to my self, that I can do it!

I think I am going to paint the door jams matt black once I repaint the whole car, it'll kinda bring the interior out more when the doors are open and I think it would look cool. Just I can use a rattle can for that, since its a small era.

Wow, that thing is stripped, and is coming along! It was blue when I first saw it, right?

Yeah I know about going through discs and cutting wheels. I went through enough cutting discs and flapper discs from just doing all the welding and patchs on the GL.

I really want to do a pro job on the GL when I repaint it, perhaps it comes from watch "Chop cut rebuild" maybe thats just too extream for this car, but I just want to do a real quality job, to prove to my self, that I can do it!

I think I am going to paint the door jams matt black once I repaint the whole car, it'll kinda bring the interior out more when the doors are open and I think it would look cool. Just I can use a rattle can for that, since its a small era.

It was blue, and it's going to be again, but the original color this time around. I had to bring it down to metal due to all the bondo (and duct tape on the back side) that was used to fill the trim holes. At this point in its life it had all cracked off and started rust. Luckily surface rust and it sanded out!

I don't think wanting to do a pro job on this, is too extreme for it. Look what I did to mine. There aren't many of them left some one has to keep them going and looking great!

I think the matt jams would look great. It would offset the white nicely along with the blue interior. It may make the door gaps stick out a bit more as well (in a good way) I painted my trim pieces for the rear hatch semigloss black, and they very well with both the interior and exterior color.

I routed all the PCV lines and connected it to the Air filter.

2012_0707AA.jpg

2012_0707AB.jpg

2012_0707AJ.jpg

This is the connector I make for my electro choke. It basically plugs into the black wire on the main harness. The Blue wire has 0 power going to it at all times, so WTF? The Black wire has power going to it with the key turned to "on" so that is what I want, correct?

2012_0707AD.jpg

Locking Male Spade terminals, which I used, they lock into the plastic housing.

2012_0707AE.jpg

2012_0707AH.jpg

2012_0707AI.jpg

The one thing I totally do not understand is this Alt bracket. It doesn't fit right. But there is no other way to mount it, that I can see. What the hell?

What is wrong?

2012_0707AC.jpg

Really odd that there's that much gap at the tensioner bracket.

Don't have good pic of bracket mounting right now. Will see if I can get one in the AM.

Spotted Christopher's camera earlier, just need to find the cable. HA!!!!

Really odd that there's that much gap at the tensioner bracket.

Don't have good pic of bracket mounting right now. Will see if I can get one in the AM.

Spotted Christopher's camera earlier, just need to find the cable. HA!!!!

I thought it was weird too. Also, why is the hole on the alt for the adjustment screw threaded? That means the adjustment screw has to enter from the rear of the bracket?

If I were to loosen the bracket and turn it closer to the alt, the bracket will not be straight. I feel like a dumb rump roast ha!

Yeah, adjuster bracket should be right next to the alt, bolt threads into alt from backside.

Do the pullies all line up?

Can't go by memory right now, but was there another set of bolt bosses under the curved bracket?

If the pullies aren't lining up, that could be the cause.

Really sure the adjuster bracket only bolts on it one place, and can't be done backwards.

Yeah, it looks like the pulleys line up. I ran the belt over all them, and it looks good. But for some reason the adjust bracket is just to far away? I don't think later EA81s have an extra casting which would bring it forward more?

Here are some better pictures, with flash!

2012_0707AL.jpg

2012_0707AM.jpg

2012_0707AN.jpg

2012_0707AO.jpg

2012_0707AP.jpg

2012_0707AM.jpg

In this pic, could just be camera angle, the alt looks to be to far forward compared to the waterpump pulley.

Can't say which engine the brackets did come off of.

One was a solidlifter engine, other was hydraulic lifter.

Do my best to get pics to you soon...

No worries Tom, I will double check the Pulleys tomorrow, and if they all do line up, I will get a longer M8 bolt and use this round spacer I have. That would work fine probably.

Hmm, I wonder if the 1985+ Solid lifter motors have a different casting? EA81 is a new animal to me. I'm used to EA82s and EJs.

No worries Tom, I will double check the Pulleys tomorrow, and if they all do line up, I will get a longer M8 bolt and use this round spacer I have. That would work fine probably.

Hmm, I wonder if the 1985+ Solid lifter motors have a different casting? EA81 is a new animal to me. I'm used to EA82s and EJs.

Spacers are usefull, used many of them.

BUT,,,, it should all line up..

GD or another well versed Subaru Guru would have to answer the question about different boss positions on solid/hydraulic EA81's, I can't at the monment.

Just hard for me to believe that I had both alt brackets sets off both engines and just happened to grab the correct ones when putting stuff back on my engine.

Pretty sure the one the '88 Wagon was the one off the '86 BRAT, modded for my Weber swap. And that is definetly an older solid lifter motor that was swapped in. Wagon has a hydraulic lifter motor in it

The curved bracket wasn't "cut" anywhere was it?

Edited by TomRhere

No cuts I could see, unless you welded it and ground it down before you blasted it. Maybe this is a defective block ;) Why not, it would add to the quirkiness of this thing, Headlights are even weird. To many Factory add-ons were done to this car, maybe thats why its phucked up :-p