Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Yes, because it will have been all sealed by me and with hosing it down in the winter every week, it'll stay nice.

Look how long I drove the Loyale in the winter, and I never really cut out the rust and welded in new, I just covered it up more or less, it was lasting all right. But since I am welding in new metal on this car, it should last just fine if someone actually takes care of it (Like me)

At least I am spending all this time and money, on a car I am going to keep. I'm Not calling you out or anything Jon, but c'mon, you've been known to dump money into these Legacys, have the car for a few months, sell it for way under what you paid for the car and what you've put into it. Why bother if you're not gonna keep it for the long run?

Just my $.02 :grin:

Edited by TheLoyale

I will say one thing, if the interior of this car wasn't so mint, and if I didn't already have the rockers finished. I may not have the motivation to keep going on this car.

But I am looking at the up in up! All I need to do is figure out have to fix the rear rot, weld in the new rad support once I get it from Tom, and I should be done with welding, woot!

Also, the car is almost to the point where I can drive it around town. Just need a cooling fan and some brakes, and I can DRIVE IT!! :drunk:

seeing all the rust you have to deal with makes me feel like a jerk for ever having complained about patching quarter sized rust holes on my wagon i dont know if i could ever take on that much rust lol but your gonna have one sweet ride when your done!:burnout:

[quote name=

At least I am spending all this time and money' date=' on a car I am going to keep. I'm Not calling you out or anything Jon, but c'mon, you've been known to dump money into these Legacys, have the car for a few months, sell it for way under what you paid for the car and what you've put into it. Why bother if you're not gonna keep it for the long run?

Just my $.02 :grin:[/quote]

You're right on that, that is why I have promised myself that the legacy I have now will be my last one. Heidi and I are going to buy a new Impreza this fall and sell off her Honda. Going to make this Legacy last 2 to 3 more years and then we plan to buy a newer Outback. This Legacy is finally what I wanted; rust free from Colorado.

Any way, you're doing a lot of great work and I'd hate to see it go to waste. You'd be surprised how fast the rust will come back if you put that car in the salt, even if it is sealed up and regularly washed.

See if you can get a 2005-06 L.L. Bean 3.0 Sedan! The Outback sedans are tits, they seem to sit higher all around than the wagons, plus a 3.0 is awesome, a Subaru with some power, in a car light enough where it actually moves, unheard of! :clap:

If the rust does does come back full force, than I guess its time to break out the Rusto-leum and rollers and go to town. This is seriously a non point to own another Subaru I can't drive in the winter, let along one that is badged as a "Ski Wagon" :-p

Has anyone tried to use wheel arches for an EA82 on the EA81? Was thinking of buying the ones offered by MillSupply if they are workable.

Unless someone wants to cut out some parts for me from an EA81! :cool:

I don't know if they'll work... I bought rockers from MillSupply (great service and product BTW) to use on the BRAT and realized they were different enough to set them aside for when I redo my GL later next winter.

I am rebuilding everything that need to be replaced on the BRAT from flat 18G... It's time consuming but it is turning out nice.

BTW... I'm with you, when I'm done restoring this thing it will be driven during winter and taken care of. These things were poorly sealed originally and I am working to remedy this.

Edited by tundrabrat

Yeah, I bought the MillSupply rockers as well and was gonna try to work with them if I could not get anyone to ship me some EA81 Rockers (Thankfully people are kind enough to help me out with this project! Tossing some cabbage around doesn't hurt either) lol.

Yeah I'm doing the same thing you are, rebuilding stuff with 18ga sheeting, which is what I might have to do with the rear, doh. I just dread the arches the most!

Rob, Yeah if only I would have had Wes cut out more from that clean wagon. Damn, I didn't really expect this much rot in the rear (Should have known better)

Since I am avoiding everything else on this car, I am adding a super secret thing in the engine bay! It was from an '89 323...

Okay, who here is junking an '80-'84 Sedan/Wagon, and can you cut out the rear wheel arches if they are not rotted, and ship them to me? Post in here, or PM me, I will post a picture with what I'm looking for, all marked out.

-Tom

EDIT:

This is how much I am looking for on both sides, light surface rust is cool, But not crumbling (I can't weld dry rot) Even having it cut out a little more bulky is fine, gives me something to work with and trim as needed.

2012_0719AFR.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

JesZek, thanks for the write-up!

You're Welcome! :)

... since I am welding in new metal on this car, it should last just fine if someone actually takes care of it (Like me)

At least I am spending all this time and money, on a car I am going to keep. ...

About Weldin' Metal and Rust Repairs, maybe this writeup could help you with some Ideas:

~► http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=126914

... I am adding a super secret thing in the engine bay! It was from an '89 323...

What could come from a Mazda 323 and fit onto a Subaru Leone?

Kind Regards.

Thank you for that link! I had forgotten about that thread, and it is very helpful! I am amazed how much stuff you seem to master, Metal fab, Wood working, electrical, is there anything you don't do? :clap:

As for the Mazda 323, I am installing something that the EA81 never came with, and is not really needed, BUT I figured, why not?

I finished making the bracket for it tonight, which turned out very well :)

Thank you for that link! I had forgotten about that thread, and it is very helpful! I am amazed how much stuff you seem to master, Metal fab, Wood working, electrical, is there anything you don't do? :clap:...

Thank you so much for your Kind Words, which I Really appreciate.

well... I really don't do sports ... :o ...

... As for the Mazda 323, I am installing something that the EA81 never came with, and is not really needed, BUT I figured, why not?

I Hope to see Pics Soon, as soon as you reveal the Secret weapon! ;)

Kind Regards.

As for the Mazda 323, I am installing something that the EA81 never came with, and is not really needed, BUT I figured, why not?

Coolant overflow tank? I added one as well if that is what you are doing. I used one from a 97 corolla. Really a good upgrade. Mine used to spew coolant all over the place after long trips, and usually people would point out my car was leaking something. If only they knew it was normal :-p

... a Faygo root beer bottle as my over flow...

My dad use a 1/4 Coolant bottle as Overflow tank on my '69 Mercury Comet Coupe, it also never came with that feature.

I had to change the one on my Subaru "BumbleBeast" because I needed the Area for the Overflow tank for the HID's Ballast and the added Circuit Center.

I'll Like to see Pics of the one from the 323 onto your Subie, I'm Sure that you managed to make it Look like Stock.

Kind Regards.

Here it is! I need to get a softer rubber hose, the 1/4" fuel line is too stiff, perhaps I can find a molded hose with a 90* bend in it for better fitment.

Stainless hardware and all...!

2012_0722AA.jpg

2012_0722AB.jpg

2012_0722AC.jpg

Started cutting out the rust. I would still be interested if someone wants to go and cut off some good panels for me... let me know, and I will let you know what I need!

2012_0722AD.jpg

2012_0722AF.jpg

2012_0722AJ.jpg

2012_0722AK.jpg

And that is the problem of wanting to keep these vehicles around.

Spend big bucks to restore them, make them "Garage Queens".....

or,,,

Fix them and drive them.

Main reason the '82 is still setting in the garage is, rust issues.

Ok, I fix that,,,,,, then what??????????????????????

'85 was a real good body, but as luck would have it, I had to do some Winter driving with it.

Now,,,,,,, it's as bad rusted as that Wagon you're trying to fix.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't...........

I don't know why older Subarus rust so easy, and 90s Subaru don't? The Legacy never rusted during my ownership, It wasn't even rusty when I bought it.

The only thing that really started to rust was the rear crossmember, as the exhaust was always blowing on it, other than that, clean as can be.

Old Subarus, you just say "water" and they start to bubble up and crumble.

:horse:

A lot of it has to do with advances in paint and rust proofing coating, but also the design of the body. Companies spend lots of time designing out areas that dirt, salt and water can collect and sit. The quality of the steel is also another huge factor, and there was A LOT of cheap steel in the late 70s and early 80s.