Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I finally got this thing in the air via Jackstands, This car is solid in all the spots that are normally rotted. The Uniframes are solid (Except for the driver side, right where I usually put a jackstand is gone. The section that comes out towards the door (Like a T shape) So I'm gonna have to rebuild that.

Fox, you remember that section on your 3-Door which you rebuilt with layers.

I am also going to have to redo all hard lines under the car (Hoping I can get away with just replacing the fuel lines at the moment (So I could at least drive this thing around more!

The rear wheel wells are solid, so this car isn't too bad. Just gonna take soem welding :slobber:

That definitely looks like something worth fixing. When I was still working at the body shop, I had fixed many Monte Carlos and Cutlasses of the same vintage with way more rot. Same goes for the 89-98 full size GM trucks, way rustier, parts are easier to get for those though.

It's very good to see this thing being saved. I'm sure there would be more of these in the mid west, in this shape, but it seems like once they started falling out of the "late model" catagory, teenagers and highschool kids got a hold of them and beat what was left into the ground. I know I did :rolleyes:

Are you swapping steering wheels with the one you bought from me?

No, I had planned to use that Steering wheel on that '87 GL. But I think I might swap it with my Loyale (Add that extra bit of goodness to it!)

The Steering wheel you sent me is in really nice shape. Thank you!

I'll most likely have them, I don't plan on shipping them as the 5ft x 6" box weighs about 15lbs.

Although, if someone has 14" or 15" Alloy Pugs, I would trade straight up and pay for shipping.

Edited by TheLoyale

Get this,

The Dealer gave me the wrong cap and rotor for my EA81. The Rotor was super tall and did not fit on the disty shaft and the Cap did not have the little square prong which ensures the cap can not be put on incorrectly. These were both NOS Subaru parts, and these were the only part numbers Wild Subarus parts system pulled up. WTF?

I returned them and went to Parts Hut, The cap looks correct and the Rotor has a short base, I will have them tomorrow morning. Heres hoping.

Get this,

The Dealer gave me the wrong cap and rotor for my EA81. The Rotor was super tall and did not fit on the disty shaft and the Cap did not have the little square prong which ensures the cap can not be put on incorrectly. These were both NOS Subaru parts, and these were the only part numbers Wild Subarus parts system pulled up. WTF?

I returned them and went to Parts Hut, The cap looks correct and the Rotor has a short base, I will have them tomorrow morning. Heres hoping.

you are going to quickly find that ordering the RIGHT parts for these older one's is getting harder and harder to do every year we tick along.

some are no longer available even with generic brands. heater core, forget it, heater valve, windshield gasket, oil pump, certain electronics, nothing. all sheetmetal repair. The EA81 is just too old and nobody kept them to have a demand for parts big enough for them to produce parts.

Looks like the car has heavy and good undercoating, that is likely what saved this EA81. Most have been rotted like 15 years ago and taken off the road at least that long ago.

Good survivor. If I had sold my Legacy SS I would have called the seller and got this before you, but instead i still have a SS.

Looks like the car has heavy and good undercoating, that is likely what saved this EA81. Most have been rotted like 15 years ago and taken off the road at least that long ago.

Good survivor. If I had sold my Legacy SS I would have called the seller and got this before you, but instead i still have a SS.

Your SS probably has much less sitting rust though. All my lines are garbage, but at least the trailing arm is still solid, its holding up the rear half of the car.

Just looked at the latest pics.

That is a CC unit, but the one in my '85 was mounted on the right of the column. Was an add-on by Dealer, not Factory.

Also, your hood release handle is not there at all.... :eek:

So yeah, you'll need the whole hood release set up out to the latch.

I have 1 out of an '86 BRAT, but the plastic handle is broken.

Have 1 from an '88 XT6 that could work for you. Can talk further about it thru PM's.

Speaking of PM's... Did you get the one I sent earlier today?

Tom,

Good to know, I think mine is the factory CC? I have a little knob on the right side of the steering column (Says Cruise) Factory or Dealer?

As for the hood latch, I am probably getting a complete assy from dude in MI. I'll let you know.

As for PMs, I hadn't gotten any today.