Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

when I had mine ('80 GL - click link in my sig for pics), I got in contact with someone from the US Ski team, and there were hundreds of them over the years, but normally the decals were removed before they were auctioned off.

Obviously some made it through without getting them removed...

so no records as to how many white wagons the US Ski Team and the USSA actually ordered. The decals were applied after delivery, probably by a decal shop or possibly dealer...

I got some original decals off eBay long ago, that were from someone involved with the program. a nearly full set of Gen2 decals that I sold to another board member, and some Gen1/Gen2 logos, (not the stripes). most of those have been sold too, though I still have a couple left :drunk:

here's the direct link for just the skiwagon....

http://www.indysworld.com/vehicles/1980-skiwag/skisoob.html

New wheel bearing and seals in, took about an hour. Retaining ring came off pretty easy, tapping out the old 3 piece race took a little bit of time. Funny, the tapper bearings didn't look too bad.

Here is the already beat Pin socket, it did hold up!

2012_0320AE.jpg

2012_0320AF.jpg

Bearing/Seals, $106 total for 2 seals and a bearing assy. The bearing is an NTN.

2012_0320AL.jpg

2012_0320AM.jpg

I actually have a set of those. I have some H style wheels as well. I'd probably sell them knowing they were going to good use :cool: They are complete with center caps, no lugs though. They are just the normal acorns, but are painted black.

Here they are on my 82

DSC00967.jpg?t=1283258923

Edit sorry for the huge pic, I must have put this in my Photobucket before I know how to size them :o

I keep removing things, and then find that I have to do something else before I can put things back in. For instance, I removed the Diff, to drop the fuel tank and fix the wheel bearing, then I painted it, I then had to derust and paint the driveshaft, but now I have to derust and repaint the Shaft tunnel. What else can I remove? Lol!! I have most of my car in the basement.

And yes, this IS Chrysler Red.

2012_0321AA.jpg

2012_0321AB.jpg

One of my headlights was put in upside down. Some people are not Anal enough.

2012_0321AE.jpg

Have yet to look closely at the two but, Are there any case changes in a 1983 3.900 Open diff, and a 1993 3.900 VLSD from a SS? Are the Axle stubs the same diameter?

Is this a drop in?

drop in for the case.

But.

1993 SS is not VLSD.

only 91 SS...

or it has been swapped.

but no 93 SS has vlsd if it was kept original. Was not even option package etc.

I was thinking off selling my set of 4 sport mags...with 3 nos center caps, and 3 used centers.....

if interested make offer.

these are as pictured before i got the 3 nos centers.

IMGA1108.jpg?t=1288127987

I would be willing to drive them to madison or so later this summer. They would look nicer with a refinish or polish better, not the best condition on surface as they sit.

Edited by bheinen74

Whoops, I think it was a '91. Either way, lets say I wanted to bolt the entire rear diff under my Wagon, is the bushing bracket the same? and Are these diffs the same length compared to the '83? Dan out here in WI has the rear diff out of his old Legacy, and I was thinking about getting onto it, if I could just bolt it up (Without changing internals over)

Wow, I do like those wheels. I would be very interested in them, and later this summer works for me good for me, as I'd probably have more money by them (Should have the car done by then)

I'm not sure what to offer for these, but I will PM ya.

That sounds like a good deal! Thank you.

Anyway, now I am weighing the option of coming onto a EA82 rear disc set, to swap onto my Loyale, so I can then swap the larger rear drums onto my GL. Since one of the brake lines just started dripping today sitting in the driveway LOL! I would need to replace the lines, Wheel Cylinders, the drums, the shoes and springs. So would it be cheeper to come onto a set of rear discs? What is the going rate for a disc swap?

This is the type of thing that I don't have much money for right now, but am I am debating if I should spend money to replace the stock brake set up or just swap entirely, what is the better option here?

I would also need some EA82 wheels at the same time, since the EA81 wagon wheels will not fit over the rear disc. Scott, I might need to borrow your stock steelies after all, depending on which way I go.

Trying to get stuff lined up so everything flows.

i have set of those rally rims.

someone pained them black but they should restore(no scratches or chips and all4 centercaps.)

but i think the shipping from here in Alaska would make it not worth it.

i actually know where there's a few sets of those, and the H style

Indeed, shipping is always the killer. AUS has all the cool parts, but no one wants to ship anything (And for good reason) haha :)

i have set of those rally rims.

someone pained them black but they should restore(no scratches or chips and all4 centercaps.)

but i think the shipping from here in Alaska would make it not worth it.

i actually know where there's a few sets of those, and the H style

the amount of Subaru parts here in Alaska is astounding. if the shipping wasn't so steep i would start a parts salvage business just to ship parts to board members.

What is a Zip code up by you? I'm gonna do a quick quote for shiz and gigz. Mines 53186.

Edit: a Parcel Post from 99506 to 53186 with a 15x10x15 26lbs box is about $30. So lets say $60 total for 4 alloy rims. Not to bad if that is ballpark.

Edited by TheLoyale