Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I had a nail in the sidewall of a fairly new tire at one point. That one hurt. I don't know how long the nail was there, but it wasn't leaking. I noticed it one day and was like HOLY *$. So it stayed there for about 2 more weeks until I found a matching tire...

I've had flat trailer tires too. Ended up ruining that rim because I was miles from home at about 2am. It was a favour I was doing for someone for free that I got suckered into. It wasn't my trailer so I didn't give a damn :lol:

I've had a lot of mis-adventures with vehicles.

To give ya'll the idea of what I want to go with on the Ski wagon, check these photos out.

These are 16x6 "Weller style" wheels? Aussie talk perhaps? With 205/45s. I think these would look boss on the Ski wagon!

22710640108_large.jpg

22710640111_large.jpg

22710640100_large.jpg

Offset looks good as well.

22710640101_large.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

JoAnne, What were the wheels you had on the Ford? Automotive class?

yes, they were an automotive class wheel - the truck came with four, I ordered the 5th one for use as a spare so everything matched. :D but, that truck had a much more common bolt patter, making it very easy to get wheels for.

I'll be honest with you - expecting to get a "new" set of 4 matching auto grade wheels for $200 or less is not all that realistic - could probably be done for $300 tho.

the biggest issue with these cars is the odd bolt pattern that limits the choices severely.

either upgrading the hubs to something else, or re-drilling the hubs to a more common bolt pattern (as another poster did) would really open up your choices. if it were me, i think i would go the re-drilling route.

Well, after a lot of discussion and actual pictures. I think I am still going with the Trailer wheels (Might even be getting the Wagon style like you said JoAnne) but in 16" with 205/45 rubber. Nice and hard like the Legacy used to be with those Potenzas'.

Anyway, here is the Fuel pump and lines leading to it. All lines needs to be replaced and I need to de-rust and refinish the pump mounting bracket.

2012_0405AQ.jpg

Went down to IL and picked up some clean blue Floor mats from Dodge Aries K, now I'll have something to put down once I get the carpeting back in.

2012_0407AD.jpg

2012_0407AE.jpg

I also adjusted my front struts today, they looked like this before.

2012_0407AB.jpg

Now their like this. I'll have to adjust the rear once its back on the car.

2012_0407AA.jpg

So,I got another (Rust free) set of EA81 Vale covers, and repainted them. I am looking at new Gaskets for them, I am going with Fel-Pro. But my question is, do I reuse the metal grommets that were on the Covers, or do I buy new ones? Rockauto does not list the grommets.

Hmm.

I am going to order the wheels from this place. Even with Shipping, it is $25 cheaper them other sites.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-393-nw128699.aspx

This place offers free shipping on orders $99-up but the total comes to $250 vs $225.

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/

Which site looks more trustworthy?

Edited by TheLoyale

Also, has anyone made a custom UEL Header for their EA81 or EA82? I am looking at building my own Header and whole exhaust on the Ski wagon (As everything is rotted and patched)

I am looking for a picture of an EA UEL header (Non-Turbo header) just to get an idea of how to wrap it in front of the Oil pan.

I am going to order the wheels from this place. Even with Shipping, it is $25 cheaper them other sites.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-393-nw128699.aspx

This place offers free shipping on orders $99-up but the total comes to $250 vs $225.

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/

Which site looks more trustworthy?

I would say the 2nd one, they have a "find retail store" button. And their store is in cali. so i personally would say 2nd

there are retail locations for the first one as well - just click on the "about" button...BUT, one thing I look at/for is copyright dates - those that are on top of things, keep those updated, those that dont...wellll, they may be fine to deal with, but not keeping up with the websites (of which they have many!) shows me that they dont really care.

#1 has a c date of 2011 - #2 is dated 2012

another thing to look at - if you put something in the cart and start the checkout process - does it go secure - as httpS - if not - do NOT enter any kind of payment info!!

I agree with the 2nd site as well. I will check it out when I order.

Did some more welding today, I was on a roll once I got started.

I am also planning on picking up EA82 Front struts, Knuckles, Axles, Brakes from Dodge Aries K. I plan on swapping the larger EA82 front brakes onto the GL at some point, I might also be getting onto a rear disc set up from Subruise as well. The rear disc might either go on this car, or the Loyale, Or I'll pick up a second set and swap both vehicles.