Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

I'm not surprised that a manual transmission car is faster than the 3at. The 3AT is like driving a 5speed that's missing 1st and 5th gear...

Yeah they are pretty bad. I burned up 2 of them before I got sick of them and swapped a 5spd D/R in. SO much better.

Probably using it for more than driving to work... They don't exactly take well to abuse.

No Automatic does, although, Autos are better for towing. I've seen an Impreza pull an XT6 about 15miles. At one point on an uphill road, the clutch was burning.

I pulled the same car with my 4EAT 4.11 Legacy with 16" wheels, had no complaints from the motor or trans what so ever.

Don't know if I'd want to pull anything with the 3AT and the 27" tires, might be to much load.

No Automatic does, although, Autos are better for towing. I've seen an Impreza pull an XT6 about 15miles. At one point on an uphill road, the clutch was burning.

I pulled the same car with my 4EAT 4.11 Legacy with 16" wheels, had no complaints from the motor or trans what so ever.

Don't know if I'd want to pull anything with the 3AT and the 27" tires, might be to much load.

The 4eat is a different story than a 3at. I abuse the living hell out of the 4eat. It's rated for towing 2000lbs, and I've definitely flat towed cars over 3000.

I also don't care if I kill it, it has 246k miles...

But the 3at is .... not as strong. I'd rather pull stuff with, and beat on a d/r than the 3at. Which I've also abused the hell out of, and no issues...

Make sure you get the one without the O2 sensor port and one with the Heat riser instead. You still have the heat riser on your EA81, right?

if you have the stock air intake that has the fitting for it. on most weber installations, that riser is chucked in the garbage if it even still exists...

if you have the stock air intake that has the fitting for it. on most weber installations, that riser is chucked in the garbage if it even still exists...

Ah, I forgot you did a Weber install on that motor. I think is the route I'm gonna go on mine. I can't find a rebuild kit for it.

What were you doing to do that? Trannys don't just fail for driving them, even with slightly oversized tires.

Yeah it was a fair amount of offroading. The tranny worked just fine, but the rear transfer clutches in those are EXTREMELY weak. The 4EAT is a completely different story. Those are TOUGH! And even though the clutches wear out in those as well, it takes high miles and lots of abuse before they do.

Ah, I've heard many stories of failed rear transfer clutches during continuous off-roading/extremes.

The 4EAT is a pretty bullet proof transmission, mine had 225,000 on it when the reverse clutch pack went (Why the reverse clutch pack out of the three?) Although, mine still has the original Duty-C and Clutch pack (Amazing!)

Replacing the rear transfer clutches isn't particularly hard or expensive on the 4eat anyway. If you toast 'em, replace 'em.

If you're offroading it, doing the switched clutch mod will probably significantly increase their life. That way the computer isn't slipping them, then grabbing them when you lift a wheel.

Replacing the rear transfer clutches isn't particularly hard or expensive on the 4eat anyway. If you toast 'em, replace 'em.

If you're offroading it, doing the switched clutch mod will probably significantly increase their life. That way the computer isn't slipping them, then grabbing them when you lift a wheel.

Help me do this to mine! Haha

Now back to TheLoyale's regularly scheduled program!(Sorry for the thread hijack)

Help me do this to mine! Haha

Now back to TheLoyale's regularly scheduled program!(Sorry for the thread hijack)

TheLoyale can get an 8 page long thread about a car he hasn't even bought yet, and never actually ended up buying. Then turn it into a 40 page long thread.... I don't think a little bit of hijacking will hurt :P haha.

I'm gonna mod up my legacy with a pwm DCCD controller, I'll order double parts and we can do your forester too.

That post actually made me laugh out loud! And is down to a tee.

TheLoyale can get an 8 page long thread about a car he hasn't even bought yet, and never actually ended up buying. Then turn it into a 40 page long thread.... I don't think a little bit of hijacking will hurt :P haha.

I'm gonna mod up my legacy with a pwm DCCD controller, I'll order double parts and we can do your forester too.

Haha awesome. Sounds good Chris. I think that 50/50 mod would be a good idea!

So, obviously I need a new lower rad support.

2012_0430AB.jpg

2012_0430AC.jpg

2012_0430AD.jpg

Here is the new Rad! $140 from Parts-hut. Want to get a metal threaded plug for the port in the side vs the plastic one they give you which doesn't seat flush.

2012_0430AE.jpg

Old Rad.

2012_0430AF.jpg

Easy to work on now!

2012_0430AG.jpg

Some stampings?

2012_0430AH.jpg

2012_0430AK.jpg

New WIX!

2012_0430AL.jpg

2012_0430AN.jpg

The Power steering pump is kinda in the way for a lot of things.

2012_0430AO.jpg

2012_0430AR.jpg

Are both of these Genuine? Why is the 2nd one held together with Zip-ties?

2012_0430AT.jpg

2012_0430AU.jpg

2012_0430AW.jpg

Air cleaner all painted.

2012_0430AX.jpg

Yeah the power steering does get in the way, you should take it off and sell it to me :lol:

As far as your radiator fans go, the one on the left of your picture is original. Half of the one on the right is. Looks like someone stuck a newer fan in the housing of the original.

Yeah the power steering does get in the way, you should take it off and sell it to me :lol:

As far as your radiator fans go, the one on the left of your picture is original. Half of the one on the right is. Looks like someone stuck a newer fan in the housing of the original.

That is what I was kinda thinking fan wise. I don't thing they had this style of fan blades back in the 80s.

As for the PS, How much difference does it drive with the Manual steering? Its a light car. In some ways, I would mind eliminating the Power steering pump/rack on this car, one less belt, and more space!

Now I am debating on swapping, mainly just to remove un-needed stuff from the motor and to clean up the engine bay (I like clean and organized engine bays)

Which is why I would also like to swap to a Weber 32/36 DGEV. I can eliminate a lot of the vacuum lines and the Emissions system lines/canister.

Plus, I think my Hitachi needs a rebuild, but I can not find a such a kit. And are there no adjustment screws on the DCP306-21? I can not find anything else except the idle adjust screw.

Only drawback to manual steering is turning the steeringwheel at little to no vehicle speed, IE; parking. Paralell parking can be fun.... But it's doable.

One may also notice more input back to the steering wheel from uneven road surfaces. Like a blacktop road where part of the lane has sunk down.

Power steering helps to dampen that out.

Now I am debating on swapping, mainly just to remove un-needed stuff from the motor and to clean up the engine bay (I like clean and organized engine bays)

Which is why I would also like to swap to a Weber 32/36 DGEV. I can eliminate a lot of the vacuum lines and the Emissions system lines/canister.

Plus, I think my Hitachi needs a rebuild, but I can not find a such a kit. And are there no adjustment screws on the DCP306-21? I can not find anything else except the idle adjust screw.

Ditch the Hitachi if you can. It has been by far the best upgrade Ive done to my GL. Dramatic increase in low end power, and a huge increase in reliability.

And if you are interested in keeping things looking OEM, you might be interested in this thread....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124058&highlight=weber+air+cleaner&page=3

:burnout:

swap in an spfi

I had this idea a few weeks ago, and had pondered all of what I would need and then cost of having the stuff shipped ect.

I can get a Sh*tachi rebuild kit for $70! So I'll probably pass at this time, I would just then swap on a 32/36 DGEV.

I got the Thermostat and gasket from Subaru city today, along with new hoses and clamps. I can now re-install the new radiator and all the fixins'.

I also welded in the Passenger side rocker today. It its great, flush with the door and looks sooo f*cking great! I still need to finish welding it in and then blend the welds so they won't be seen. I will take some pics after that.

No more games, I need to get this done.