Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Tom, just noticed your message. Perhaps I'll have to plan a roadtrip this summer, meet some of the other Mid-west Subaru crowd.

See if MilesFox will be my co-driver, if he's up for a trip! :cool:

Thinking your return trip should down thru Michigan. Then you could stop by here. :cool:

Have to dig around in the shed, but may have front bumper off an '85-'86 Sedan here. Not sure at the moment......

Would really like to meet you Tom.

And Fox ain't been here in forever!!!

(Could even arrange for Rich to be here so you could meet him, seeeing as you donated towards his medical bills.)

Tom, just noticed your message. Perhaps I'll have to plan a roadtrip this summer, meet some of the other Mid-west Subaru crowd.

Sounds good to me. We can plan things out, once it gets warmer outside.

I'd love to catch up with you guys too, and see one of the safari wagons in person.

Cant wait to see were you go with this GL10, your Loyale is probably my favorite ea82!

ji know im late in the debate so just throwing it out there too since i've had a boner for that bumper since day one i seen it. id trade up my bumpers for the one on that thing, my stock one and the spare i have (just the metal, no bumper cover on the spare) i'll even toss in an ea82 motor thats sitting in my garage that i dont need/want anymore. (and no shipping necessary.. :brow:)

A little more history of this car, Funny how long it took the NC dude (MysteriousXTC) to sell it. The Sale thread is entertaining.

http://www.carolinahondas.com/non-honda-vehicle-classifieds/81379-ft-87-subaru-gl-10-turbo-w-dual-rang-5spd-swap-lift-more-3.html

Here is the final sale conversation from back in 2010.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/member.php?tab=visitor_messaging&u=10384#visitor_messaging

Edited by TheLoyale

Traveling to get the GL-10:

I think I'd like to get to your place at 4:30 am, Miles if you're coming along I'd prefer that you meet us at Tom's house. If we have to pick you up that is another hour of driving without making an progress of heading toward Duluth and it is already going to be a LONG day.

Tom, I would bring two spare tires of matching size that will fit this car. If you happen to get a flat, we can change two (you can run this in 2WD only right?). Also bring all the extra fluids you can think of. I'll bring some extra hose clamps, bring your tools for sure. Perhaps we should bring a used timing belt and components (I have a new water pump I can bring just in case as well). Do you know if a timing belt job was done on this motor since it was dropped in this car?

I have the rubber mat in the back of my car, if spare parts are included and we need to load some into my car that is fine. We should try to keep the load on GL-10 as light as possible.

Jon, Don't worry about the tires. I have two full sets that come with it (Stockers and 27") The only tires I would have to match anything, would be my Bighorns, and I am not taking wheels off the Loyale (More piss and wongleflute then its worth)

Timing set is probably fresh, so I wouldn't worry about it. Plus we would need a huge C-clamp to compress the tensioner, EA82 timing belts are easier on the side of the road then the EJ. I am not at all concerned with the mechanicals of this car.

I wil bring my toolbox and some fluids. The day actually won't be that long, I bet we will be back down here by 7pm. It is only 6.5hrs up to Superior.

If Miles could meet us at your house I'd still prefer it. I'm excited to help you get this car back but I'm not excited about sitting in the car for 14 hours straight (getting old I guess).

Ok Mr. Fox, You heard Mr. Ludtke's plan. :popcorn:

Converse amongst yourselfs.

Edited by TheLoyale

Jon, yes. 4:30am will work fine. Give me a call before you leave (To make sure I'm up lol)

I'll probably be up anyhow, I'll just sit and watch redundant videos on youtube all morning.

I think it will just be you and I, As I don't think Fox is gonna drive to Waukesha.

Anyone know where to obtain this style of 12v switch? I've searched for Rubber Toggle Switches, but I get just that, A Toggle Switch.

This style is more of a Tedder Totter, and they are rubber coated. I can't seem to find these anywhere (WTF?) they are pretty common.

20575410012_large.jpg

I have also had the idea of painting the entire body Semi-Gloss black (Like Trashwagon10) as the paint is such crap currently on the car, half of it is baked off.

Votes on Solid Semi-Gloss Black (Not a Trashwagon Scheme) Or perhaps another color. Either way, this car would be done up right, just like my other Subarus and Toyota.

Post your thoughts.

I like that Audi gray, looks good in gloss. Although, I wonder if it'd look to much like Primer in Semi-Gloss?

Semi-Gloss is the way to go, Flat never looks good. A Slight sheen does wonders.

There was an EA82 around this site, that was painted up like a USN ship, Looked cool!

This is the car that kinda inspired Safariwagon (I then took it to another level)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/356878/1993-subaru-loyale

I like how this car sits, I might do something like this with the GL-10. I have decided the worst part of the GL10s paint is the hood. I think I am going to roll the hood Semi-gloss or Flat black. I am going with rollers as it is very smooth and consistent. Also, Flat black looks much better if rolled (No overspray)

I am going to get onto some 14" or 15" Pugs as well.

3568780224_large.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale
  • Like 1