Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Yeah and while you're at it go ahead and toss a SBC 350 under the hood too. :-p Who cares about gas mileage anyway? It's all relative!

I like the stock airbox mod idea, quite a bit of work, but that looks much better than the cheapo Chinese chrome air filter housing. My buddy has one of those on his beetle and the clips that hold the top down keep falling off.

You are talking to a guy who drives a 10mpg Landcruiser. Fuel mileage is not one of my concerns :drunk:

Yeah and while you're at it go ahead and toss a SBC 350 under the hood too. :-p Who cares about gas mileage anyway? It's all relative!

I had this idea a few weeks ago, and had pondered all of what I would need and then cost of having the stuff shipped ect.

I can get a Sh*tachi rebuild kit for $70! So I'll probably pass at this time, I would just then swap on a 32/36 DGEV.

I got the Thermostat and gasket from Subaru city today, along with new hoses and clamps. I can now re-install the new radiator and all the fixins'.

I also welded in the Passenger side rocker today. It its great, flush with the door and looks sooo f*cking great! I still need to finish welding it in and then blend the welds so they won't be seen. I will take some pics after that.

No more games, I need to get this done.

dont forget there is an 87 spfi harnes and most of the intake laying around. it would still be a project. Something to consider if the crabulator just doesn't do it any more. Save this idea for a real 5spd swap. I vote for all ea82 driveline in an ea81 car.

Some pics from today:

2012_0501AA.jpg

2012_0501AB.jpg

Rocker I got from Washington after I cut out the section I needed:

2012_0501AE.jpg

The Section I needed: Cut right below where the door seal seats, all the way down to the pinch weld at the bottom.

2012_0501AC.jpg

Cut off old rocker.

2012_0501AG.jpg

2012_0501AH.jpg

New rocker section welded in place, there will be no seam sealer used. I have welded a solid bead all the way along the cut line.

2012_0501AK.jpg

Flush with the doors.

2012_0501AL.jpg

2012_0501AM.jpg

2012_0501AD.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

finally stopped rainin huh? lookin good hombre. get back to work. RV

Yeah, we got luck today! The sun came out about 5pm, the light shined down upon me, and I said "YES! YES! Jesus H Tap Dancing Christ, I am going to finish this rocker today!" I then did a backflip into the garage and grabbed my Auto darkening Welding Hemet and got cracking!

Now here is a good question.

For those of you who have bought and replaced the front struts on their GL with Adjustable spring perches, where do you find such a replacement? or are you stuck with a standard strut with no adjustments?

I was thinking about this the other day as I'm looking to replace the rear dampers, and was thinking what I'm gonna do about the fronts...

i went to napa and o'riley's, all they showed me in their inventory was the no adjustable ones. But then again i just needed struts asap. i bet you could find them with a lot of digging and looking, or even go to subaru and get new ones (they said they were available but might be on back order)

When something like this is on Backorder, it means it is Discontinued. The same thing for the Fuel Tank.

Might have to make my own adjustable perches! :-p

(they said they were available but might be on back order)

You could.... Cut off the perches on the old and weld them on the new stuts after cutting the old perch off

Just don't nick the gas charged damper! Why Subaru stopped with the adjustable front struts is beyond me, the last model I know that had them was an '85 GL 4WD (EA82) They should have put them in the Loyale as well!! :Flame:

Edited by TheLoyale

finished up the front rocker corner (Where it meets the wheel well structure. Look great, I am really surprised how well this is turning out, I am also smoothing the seam welds and will be applying Bondo possibly today (If I still have the good stuff I got from NCS)

I don't think I would ever want to replace a rocker panel again lol... Although, it was a little fun, I like cutting and welding stuff!

I've said that a lot in my life, and then I find myself doing it again ;) I think the cutting and welding are the primary reasons for doing it again :Flame:

Is it just me, or is lining the doors back up on this car a PITA? I swapped doors on my Legacy once and it was easy, I also swapped doors on another '96 Legacy, easy. This car, not so easy...

Perhaps I need more booze to do this right.

Edited by TheLoyale

I can get a Sh*tachi rebuild kit for $70! So I'll probably pass at this time, I would just then swap on a 32/36 DGEV.

i replied to your thread about the rebuild kit - but apparently you havent looked at it?

anyway look here: http://chicagocarburetor.com/carburetor-kits-car.php?c=73

second to the last listing on the page does list your model numbers and is only $32.83

The rockers are looking much better - nice job!

Cant wait to see this little car back on all 4's again, ready to hit the road.

:popcorn:

Yeah I saw your post, was to lazy to reply. Why would one kit be double the price of the other? Hmmm.

I just broke a bolt off into the intake for my Thermostat hosing. Great. WTF am I gonna do now....

This is what happens when you never take your Subaru apart on a yearly basis. It still had the original thermostat in it.

Just drill and tap my friend, thats all u can do.

yep, or drill a small pilot hole, then use a reverse extractor... and if you really much things up, then you get a different hitachi intake manifold... and then very carefully with lots of pb blaster / yield, etc.... remove the intake to head bolts....