Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Can I remove this thing all together with my stock setup? I would need to plug the threaded port in the exhaust, but any reason why I could not remove this?

Mine was missing the top half on my fwd when I got it. Some one had plugged it off with a coin. It ran fine. Makes a big difference in gaining some room in the engine bay that is for sure.

Mine was missing the top half on my fwd when I got it. Some one had plugged it off with a coin. It ran fine. Makes a big difference in gaining some room in the engine bay that is for sure.

GOOD! I want this thing outta my engine bay ASAP! :horse:

:banana:

So, I removed that big one-way valve outta the engine bay, and plugged up the port on the exhaust for it. I truly did not see a reason for that thing, other then some hokey emissions item.

I used one of the existing fittings that would secure the pipe to the Header and one-way valve.

Air tight.

2012_0511AA.jpg

Port, before plug:

2012_0511AB.jpg

After plug:

2012_0511AC.jpg

Engine bay with out that dumb plastic bubble and valve.

2012_0511AD.jpg

I'm jealous of your dipstick, all of mine the metal loop falls off the end. Also that plug looks great. I took mine off, hammered it closed and the welded it. My "new" engine doesn't have the plates about the exhaust so I didn't have to mess with it a second time.

Technically it won't seal without the pipe in the fitting. Because the nut presses the pipe into the seat, the right way to do it is to crimp the pipe off and weld it shut.

For the dipstick I have an ej22 dipstick cut to the right length with a mark on it. That way it doesn't have a broken off handle thingy.

Where would it leak to though? The weld is air tight, and nothing is going to get past the threads that I can fathom.

So these Blocks aren't needed? I could remove them entirely and bolt the header right to the head! Thats an idea, I'm gonna make a custom UEL header anyway.

Where would it leak to though? The weld is air tight, and nothing is going to get past the threads that I can fathom.

So these Blocks aren't needed? I could remove them entirely and bolt the header right to the head! Thats an idea, I'm gonna make a custom UEL header anyway.

Exhaust gasses want out, anyway, anywhere they can do so. Threads on that flare nut are a possible leak source.

Take the nut back off and put a quarter in the spacer, install nut.

If you remove the spacer, the EA81 Y-pipe won't fit back on properly, hits the crossmember.

EA82 Y-pipe will fit correctly with no spacer on engine.

Yeah, a ten year old car around here can look as bad as that pic of Tom's exhaust. Not talking just the exhaust, the frame, crossmember, PS lines, rockers, what have you in that pic.

Our '07 Chevy HHR is starting to show rust. And it gets a good spraydown during the Winter months. Bought it with 29,000 June of '09. It now has 59,000 and hundreds of all over baths.

Road salt sucks.............

So I did as you said, I actually used the original flange, since it still seats into the plug/fitting. So it should be good to go now.

I will be making my own header at some point soon, so I will probably remove this spacer blocks then.

I can't wait to hear what an UEL header does to a 1781cc!

I got the new Intake from TomR today! Thank you!!

2012_0514AA.jpg

2012_0514AB.jpg

2012_0514AC.jpg

2012_0514AD.jpg

2012_0514AG.jpg

Only problem I have is, I can no get this plug out. I put some pretty good force on it, and it didn't give anything in return. Hmmm. If I don't get this out, I can't put this other thing on.

2012_0514AE.jpg

This goes to the Carb, Choke IIRC. I don't think I can leave this off? I bet this controls the choke?

2012_0514AF.jpg

If I run a Weber DGEV, do I need this?

Edited by TheLoyale

Well durn it! If I had known, I could've tried getting that plug loosened. Got driverbit sockets for my impact wrench, may have worked...

Can't answer your question on needing that TVV (thermal vacuum valve) for your Hitachi carb. Shouldn't need it for the Weber either.

Manifold is off an '86, my '85 doesn't have that TVV there. Been over 5 years since I had the '84 here. The '82 had an EA82 engine swapped into it when I got it, so no idea on that...

I think that pipe is part of the PCV system, I don't have a good picture of that area before I removed the intake, and now I'm forgotten.

Guess we'll see where it plays out once I start hooking everything up.

I will say, I very much dislike all of these vac lines. It is such a disaster (And people think an FI EA82 has vac lines) HA! this motor is worse then a Turbo EJ22

:horse:

Huh, looked through some old posts in this thread. I bought this car on Sunday 2/26, so the 26th of this month with be 3 months of ownership! :-p

This car sure is a Journey within its self.

If the elderly gentleman I bought this car from, could see it now.

Edited by TheLoyale