Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '83 GL: The Ski Wagon

TheLoyale

Probably going to be about a 4 or 5 inch lift.

New twist to the plot on this car as I get to know it's history a little better. :brow:

you will need to lift before the 5 speed, as it will change how you do the shifter mods, plus a 5 speed with no lift, means some bashing in the trans tunnel....

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Update! Finally! Spring had me wrapped up getting a 14 foot starcraft, a 10 HP 1960 Evinrude and a $50. boat trailer ready for fishing this year. (Which includes a 2000 mile trip to Ontario in July. Then BOOM! My wife lands a fantastic job in California and we're up and moving soon.

The plan for the ski team wagon was, and still is to put the low miles dual range 5 speed in it and give her some lift and larger tires with only minimal trimming. Going to upgrade the paint and decals and keep it original unless something changes. Have given some thought to simply re-painting the decals themselves as a temporary measure.

So in prep for the move, I'm selling the 1997 3000GT. (Anyone want it?) Keeping the mustang in storage and will be getting the ski-team wagon on it's feet with a single range 4 speed I found in Iowa. That way I can slap in the single range, my friend can drive it until I've got everything good and ready and can then do all my work to it in one swoop. (Here's hoping!) I have great visions of this thing climbing the mountains of California and exploring many of the sights.

So today I jacked it up, removed the front wheels and am starting to scout the removal of the old trans.

DSCN1596_zpse348ecbb.jpg

DSCN1597_zps03116b23.jpg

Toms welding skills have held up just fine. No rust showing on the rockers and almost all the rust proofing measure he took, look the same as a year ago.

DSCN1598_zpse1a7e030.jpg

The beast waiting to roar again.

DSCN1599_zps1240a409.jpg

The less-than-perfect front axle. Tom- did you ever have these roll pins out? Wondering if I'll have a battle on my hands or not. At least as it's parked now, I have access to them. With the trans stuck in gear, it could have been fun trying to move them.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

DSCN1605_zps68cc55ad.jpg

Got some exercise today!

DSCN1606_zps054563ef.jpg

All told it took about 3 hours to yank the trans. Broke only one bolt in the process and it will be easy to compensate for. The only real trouble spot I hit was the speedo cable. When I got a grip on it and tried to spin it out of the trans it just came apart. The end that linked up to the trans was made of plastic! Is this normal? I was past being gentle by then so I cut the speedo cable off with a cutting disc. So I'm in the market for a front axle, front brake pads and a speedo cable if anyone has one taking up space.

You could have expected that speedo cable to break if you knew better. Sometimes it is easiest to leave it on the trans end and change it out from the dash end, so long as your replacement trans had a cable. 

You might get away with just shoving it in there and making it stay on its own if you route the cable properly. an ea82 cable should fit as well.

Donor trans has it cut off. Anyone know the part number off hand? Only one I saw on Rock Auto says it's for Vin Number 4 (This is a 5 - Not sure that it matters.)

Here's are some pics the yard sent me. Picking this up tomorrow morning. Going pretty quick with this install hopefully.

TRANY001_zps36a3d16b.jpg

TRANY002_zpsf9881dad.jpg

TRANY003_zps041b0f67.jpg

TRANY004_zps02739eaa.jpg

Looks like a good clean trans for a midwestern region and 30+ years old.

Drove out yesterday and got the trans. All seems in working order. Shifted fine, turns fine with no apparent grinding etc. Putting it in took a little longer than I had hoped. It's always a battle getting the last few inches to bring the bellhousings together.  But the trans is bolted in as of last night. Tonight I will be attaching all the little stuff to finish the swap.

DSCN1633_zps27697555.jpg

DSCN1637_zps44b053f8.jpg

Think these front pads could stand to be replaced? I have an order on the way from Rock Auto for new pads and speedo cable.

DSCN1612_zpse0923a09.jpg

More grinding. More to come.

Edited by AdventureSubaru

New brake pads in. Grabbed some gear oil and finally took it off the jack stands. A few cranks and vroom!  Driveway tested and the trans seems fine. I got a belt or something squeaking up front and am waiting on exhaust manifold gaskets to arrive so I can quiet it down.

But it's mobile again.

• Like 1

Yep. Although not right away. I'm driving out in the Impreza at the end of the month. Will be home over Thanksgiving and Christmas and will fly out one of those trips and bring it back then. So i'm in the process of finding storage for it for the next 5 months.

Anyone in the area want a patriotic colored lawn ornament? :lol:  I may have a friend drive it during that time, but I may also have to shell out some money and put it in storage.

• 1 month later...

We are settled into California and the Ski Team wagon is being driven by a friend as a commuter. Reportedly it's running fine. The new speedo cable is in and I am hunting for a rust free California exhaust to ship back.

The $65. trans shifts and drives fine. 4th gear though is very loud. 1,2 and 3 are normal. 4th sounds very loud and growly but feels fine. Any insight on what that might be?

It will likely be joining us on the west coast after Christmas. I'm thinking my brother and I will do the 5 speed swap while I'm back in the area for Christmas and then road trip it back to the west coast.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

New little squirt + limited parking options + busy work schedule means the car is up for sale again. Currently located in southern Wisconsin. I am mailing a good west coast used rear exhaust to Mike (A friend of ours who has been using the car as a secondary vehicle for him and his family) so it should be considerably more quiet.

The car is turn key and pretty much ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Back for sale as Tom has the coupe now and this car needs a bit more than it did a year ago. trans is working but making some loud bearing like noises in the higher gears. There is a yard locally with a good trans I can put you in contact with. 

$500. PM me. I'm in town for a week and would like to see it go to a new owner in that time if possible.

• Like 1