Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should i trade a 1983 subaru gl for a 1978 Subaru Wagon 4x4?

hey guys i have a 1983 subaru gl in mint condition just aquired it a week ago and well i just stumbled upon a 1978 subaru wagon on craigs list today... the guy is willing to do a trade.. the car has about 70000mi on it second owner and in awsome shape, just needs water pump. what should i do?? i've always wanted one of these and i know how rare they are to come by... what should i do HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Yes, older gen cars are more desireable than newer gen cars.

HOWEVER

The older the car is the more work and time it will need, and the practability factor goes down.

Trust me there is a huge differance when I commute to work in my loyale v.s my 79 wagon.

I say go for it, you'll have a bigger grin on your face commuting in a 78 wagon v.s a gen 2 wagon.....but both are cool by me.

I say go for it too! I have an 86 and a 77 and yes the 77 has required a lot more work but it is so much cooler. I love it. I still have more work to do on the 77 but is real close to being able to drive it daily. There are still a lot of guys out there that will help you with parts but with 70K original miles your starting off in pretty good shape. Here's my 77...

DSC_0783.jpg

I have done a lot of work on it since this picture but it has been fun working on it....