Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey folks:

So my buddy's 1999 forester got a tire slashed. He is going to replace the tire but is concerned that replacing one tire might be a problem for the AWD system. The other three have about 5k miles on them at this point. Tire shops dont want to sell him one tire. Any input on whether replacing just one tire will be problematic appreciated. Thanks USMB!

Daniel

ps- some jacka$$ smashed the front of my brat while it was parked! Luckily I have full coverage so hopefully I'll get something for the damage. Dont ask me why I had full coverage, but I'm glad I did.

you should be fine if the replacement tire is the same zize at least, if not same brand.

If you get 2 new tires, mount them diagonally from eachother to spread the rotation evenly across the center diff. You can actually run 2 different size pairs if they are diagonal, but not if FF, RR

Hey folks:

So my buddy's 1999 forester got a tire slashed. He is going to replace the tire but is concerned that replacing one tire might be a problem for the AWD system. The other three have about 5k miles on them at this point. Tire shops dont want to sell him one tire. Any input on whether replacing just one tire will be problematic appreciated. Thanks USMB!

Daniel

ps- some jacka$$ smashed the front of my brat while it was parked! Luckily I have full coverage so hopefully I'll get something for the damage. Dont ask me why I had full coverage, but I'm glad I did.

Tire shops like to play AWD owners like damned fiddles.

Have him buy his replacement over on tirerack.com and have them shave it to the same depth as his other 3. After 5k, it's probably nothing to worry about, but better safe than sorry. It's cheaper to buy and shave 1 than replace all 4.

I have had luck shopping on ebay for used tire of exact same make brand size model.

I have purchased 3 used tires for Subarus from a seller on there. I use their pictures, and depth info to match up with the ones needed.

I got my Brother his WRX tire replacement for his rebuilder car he bought it with a damaged tire due to the wreck

Found my parents a tire for their outback one was worn bad due to dead 290k mile shock. It matches the others perfect

And the old 94SS i sold to Mick, I had one of the tires on the wheel set worn from when it was on my other car with a bad alignment, i got a tire to match too.

3 times, no issues. All these used tires cost range from 34 shipped to 61 shipped. Shipping has been free from the one seller, and the tire arrives in 3 days from when payment was made.

I have had luck shopping on ebay for used tire of exact same make brand size model.

I have purchased 3 used tires for Subarus from a seller on there. I use their pictures, and depth info to match up with the ones needed.

I got my Brother his WRX tire replacement for his rebuilder car he bought it with a damaged tire due to the wreck

Found my parents a tire for their outback one was worn bad due to dead 290k mile shock. It matches the others perfect

And the old 94SS i sold to Mick, I had one of the tires on the wheel set worn from when it was on my other car with a bad alignment, i got a tire to match too.

3 times, no issues. All these used tires cost range from 34 shipped to 61 shipped. Shipping has been free from the one seller, and the tire arrives in 3 days from when payment was made.

this is good info

with 5,000 miles it's not going to matter. i would just get a new tire and be done with it. the sure thing to do is measure them and check tread depth and see any difference.

the rears should wear less if they haven't been rotated yet - so if one of the rears got slashed the new one would probably be more likely to match that tread depth than the fronts.

but either way, 5,000 is nothing.

bordertire.com was an awesome used tire distributor online i bought tires from but i believe they were going out of business last i checked.

tires with 50% tread and such are much easier to find though when going used. 99% tread tires are not the most common used tires. a new tire is probably just as close or closer than a used tire to the current 5,000 mile rubber on there (if that number is accurate). craigslist, ebay, local bulletin board style ads, etc there's lots of options to find used tires.