Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yes, there were legacys in 89...thats when they came out. AND..there were turbos...the RS over seas and the RS here...EJ20x and EJ22T...we never got the EJ20x version tho. There was even an STi Legacy in tohse days as well.

Ive not read into detail the problems of a hybrid EJxx setup so I dont know the A...

I was talking only in america since the subject was in reference to turbo EJ22's, we don't have MY89 legacy's here and we dont have MY89-MY90 Turbo's here

The Legacy RS-R and Legacy RS-RA weren't actually Legacy STi's, since STi didnt exist back then, or it wasn't an actual company. They were highly tuned machines but weren't called STi's

I was talking only in america since the subject was in reference to turbo EJ22's, we don't have MY89 legacy's here and we dont have MY89-MY90 Turbo's here

The Legacy RS-R and Legacy RS-RA weren't actually Legacy STi's, since STi didnt exist back then, or it wasn't an actual company. They were highly tuned machines but weren't called STi's

I don't recall saying that the years I quoted were only USA models. And STi did existed then, actually until back to 1987, they just were not called STi then, it also isn't a company, it is a branch of Subaru. I just went out an looked at my Legacy Turbo engine, the only thing cast into the engine is EJ22, but on the timing cover it has the word 'TURBO' under SUBARU. Since all my Subaru data points to the Legacy Turbo engine being an EJ22G, I will continue to call it that until someone can give me photographic proof of something else. You can call it what you want, but to the best of my knowledge, the only 'T' engines in Subaru histeory were teh EA81T and the EA82T.

Jesus,

Not this again. The G is part of the applied engine code. The complete engine code is actually 10 alpha numeric letters/numbers designating everything about the engine and even a few things about the trim level of the car.

The 5 place that the G, T, or E holds is the division of fuel delivery. A G designates a DOHC MPFI Turbo engine. The E stands for SOHC MPFI engine and the T stands for SOHC MPFI turbo engine. As the owners of turbo legacies have stated, the metal plate on the driver's side strut tower explicitly says EJ22T on it.

And as for the old 22B debate, I actually found an owner of a 22B in the UK who had taken apart his engine and rebuilt it. The 22B is cast without oil squirters and is a phase II block with the thrust bearing moved from center to the end like all the other phase II blocks. Our 2.2l turbo block is the daddy of the 22b's block, not the same block...

so is that T vs G thing not true...? Id really really REALLY want to know the true-ness of the EJ22 turbo engines...

I don't recall saying that the years I quoted were only USA models. And STi did existed then, actually until back to 1987, they just were not called STi then, it also isn't a company, it is a branch of Subaru. I just went out an looked at my Legacy Turbo engine, the only thing cast into the engine is EJ22, but on the timing cover it has the word 'TURBO' under SUBARU. Since all my Subaru data points to the Legacy Turbo engine being an EJ22G, I will continue to call it that until someone can give me photographic proof of something else. You can call it what you want, but to the best of my knowledge, the only 'T' engines in Subaru histeory were teh EA81T and the EA82T.
you were saying ej22g models (actually ej22t) and they didnt exist until 91.

I didnt say anything about the casting. All the blocks are only case with teh first 4 digits of the engine code. Go look at the placard in a legacy turbo engine bay like I said before, or read the thread I just linked to that shows people reading their placard and indisputable evidence that the EJ22G and EJ22T blocks are different (yes someone disassembled a 22b motor. G doesn't mean closed deck, G means DOHC MPFI Turbo, like matt said that you didnt read. So explain to me how a usdm 91-94 legacy turbo engine can have the engine code EJ22G?

And can you PLEASE answer my question about anyone having problems with oil and coolant mixing?

WJM what matt monson said was true.

I guess I should ask (should have asked before), what year EJ22 do you want to put these heads on? I know that the early ones (89-94) are closed deck, which also covers the turbocharged EJ22G, for those engines you would need a closed deck head from an EJ20G (or the JDM N/A EJ20, also DOHC). I know in the newer cars the EJ22 was changed slightly, but I don't know what the decking is in those engines. The best thing is to match the engine deck to heads from and engine with like decking (closed, semi-closed, or open). The engine I will be putting together is an EJ22G out of a Turbo Legacy, I have the heads off of an EJ20G. It may be awhile before this comes together, but when I'm done, I should have something close to a 22B engine.
THAWA, is that what I really said?? I gave a range for EJ22 closed deck engines, and stated the the EJ22Gs falls within that range, I did not state that the EJ22G was as old as 1989. The US Legacy Turbo was from 1991 to 1994, isn't that within that range that I stated????? Quit trying to read thing into what I am saying, and reading only what I am saying.

No, it's an EJ22T

Read here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=83599&highlight=ej22t#83599

Here's a post explaining the difference between the EJ22G and the EJ22T: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=85027#85027

Or find a 91-94 legacy turbo and look at the engine code on the placard on the strut tower.

Apparently you didn't read all the post in the link, there several people stated that their Legacy Turbo had EJ22T on the engine as well as the data plate. I looked at mine, and it only has EJ22 on the engine.

And can you PLEASE answer my question about anyone having problems with oil and coolant mixing?

Like I posted earlier, the passages will not match if the engines are different. It could be that people who have tried this before used heads from a semi-closed deck engine, those passages would be closer then an open deck engine. But heck, you don't seem to believe anything that I say, so go ahead, switch whichever heads you want, that is your choice, I can't stop you.

By the way, I'm still waiting for someone to point me to a place where those alpha character are stated like Matt is being quoted.

A range for ej22 closed decks? There are only two closed deck ej22's the EJ22T and the EJ22G one from 91-94 and the other in 98 or whatever year the 22b was made, so now please explain to me how a range of closed deck ej22's from 89-94 is an accurate thing to say? By your logic I could say a rance of closed deck ej25's from 1976-2005 and be correct. It just doesnt make sense to add irrelavnt years.

Sevral people? Try one who is incorrect. FHI Has never stamped an engine with more than 4 chars to my knowledge. There's no reason for them to. If they did the blocks would HAVE to have the same Heads all the time, but look at the ej255 and ej257, same block but different heads, yet the block is only stamped with EJ25. Please find me an ej block with more than 4 characters stamped in it. Now if you'd actually tak th time to look at the engine code on the placard in a legacy turbo engine bay you'd see it says EJ22T insead of just thinking you're right.

But heck, you don't seem to believe anything that I say, so go ahead, switch whichever heads you want, that is your choice, I can't stop you.

I believe what you say when I don't know for a fact there's something different that is true. I do believe the passages are different, but what I'm wonder is if someone has had a real life problem with them mixing. Yes it would be ideal to use the same heads with the same block, but just because the two things dont line up identically doesnt mean you cant use em. Just trying to find the truth is all.

By your logic I could say a rance of closed deck ej25's from 1976-2005 and be correct.

Yea, right, I don't F$%king think so. The N/A EJ22 is closed deck, and the first one of those was built in 89. Where did you get the idea that only the turbo charged engines were closed deck?

Not having a Lecay Turbo here to go look at the data plate, I can't take the time to do that, but I do have the engine from one on an engine stand. I was merely quote from a link you posted, which it appears both of us know is wrong (the part about the engine casting).

As am I trying to find the truth, if you can point to an official Subaru link the shows the alpha codes for the early EJ series engines, it would solve this whole thing.

Yea, right, I don't F$%king think so. The N/A EJ22 is closed deck, and the first one of those was built in 89. Where did you get the idea that only the turbo charged engines were closed deck?

Ok, im going to take the heads off this NA EJ22 i have. Pics to come.

Not having a Lecay Turbo here to go look at the data plate, I can't take the time to do that, but I do have the engine from one on an engine stand. I was merely quote from a link you posted, which it appears both of us know is wrong (the part about the engine casting).

As am I trying to find the truth, if you can point to an official Subaru link the shows the alpha codes for the early EJ series engines, it would solve this whole thing.

There isn't the correct smilie to show you just how i feel while reading this post. It's obvious to me that you've 1 never taking the heads off an EJ22E, and that 2 you'll just say whatever you want without finding information to back up your claims. You're talking to someone that has replaced his headgaskets on his ej22e. I'm 100% positive it's an open deck engine. I'm also 100% positive the only closed deck EJ22's sold (not imported) in america were from 91-94. Really you need to try to learn about a topic/idea/arguement before you start spouting out information that you don't know about. So now I need to ask you, where did you get the idea that EJ22E's were closed deck? It also doesn't take away from the fact that we didn't have any MY89 legacys!

I don't have any official links to the subaru code thing.

Really though, your last post just put a HUGE smile on my face