Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'89 RX: Project Rally

Unsp0kn

• 2 months later...
That car is hot and I hate you.

That is all.

My thoughts too. If these were out in Oz, I'd have one for sure - maybe even two, one for street, one for offroad :rolleyes:

Keen to see how this turns out. These coupes have ALL the good bits except for the XT6 5 stud gear!

And I want that gearbox too :D

Cheers

Bennie

Haha, thanks guys. I've been stalling on this project majorly lately, bought a dirt bike and have been riding as much as possible. The RallyX season is almost over now, but I should get more work done on her this fall. I'm hoping I can get it moved to a friends shop about 100mi away this weekend and get some of the metal fab started!

My thoughts too. If these were out in Oz, I'd have one for sure - maybe even two, one for street, one for offroad :rolleyes:

Keen to see how this turns out. These coupes have ALL the good bits except for the XT6 5 stud gear!

And I want that gearbox too :D

Cheers

Bennie

Funny you say that, the only place I could find the wheel adapter hub was in Oz! He said this car over there is an L-series if I remember right.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I'm trying to track down issues with the RX, the cold starting is a problem and it frequently wants to fall on it's face while driving. It's got vacuum problems galore from the previous owner, the PCV system is all unhooked, BOV won't stay shut under vacuum and I found capped nipples on the intake that were cracked and probably leaking too.

Anyone know what this little sensor on the intake manifold runner is? I'll try to get a pic up later, but it's on the runner closest to the firewall on the passenger side. It was unplugged, plugged it back in and the car still stumbles sometimes. I'll be driving, get on the throttle, hear the turbo spool up and it feels like it's dragging, then all of a sudden breaks loose and accelerates.

i had the same issue with my old gl-10. the intake pipe leaked after the maf so it was confused until the turbo sucked the pipe back onto the maf

check your piping. also any cel?

No CEL, but who knows if it even works anymore. I'm going to go after the vacuum leaks firstly, that could be all it is since it ran fine when I picked it up. I'll check the plugs and wires next, they are all new.

Does the car has a Coolant Lose?

Because it could be the intake manifold's gaskets failure.

Somehow, this Dashboard...

419931_795424780604_40309850_36162542_75726327_n.jpg

...Looks like the one on my 1969 Mercury Comet Coupe, and you Lost the Red warning lights' stripes (one left and one right, under the instrument cluster on the Stock Dashboard) So, there's no CEL at all.

Kind Regards.

Check the collant temp sensor its right in front of the turbo behind the intake manifold it can ause issues like that and also the maf can cause problems like those aswell. But those are pretty much the only sensors for the mpfi. My giess is the CTS due to it running better when warm.

Cool, I was wondering if that sensor was the one. The plug on it is broken and I actually found it unplugged the other day. Going to take them both out and re-do the wiring, I read that can be the cause too. If it still does it, I'll replace the sensor.

Yeah the dash isn't very pretty, I bought it this way. Got plans to make a more professional setup and do away with the stock gauge cluster, just need to get er running right before I dive into throwing money at all the work I have planned! The coolant is full and it doesn't have any white smoke out the exhaust.

• 1 month later...

Fixed the leaky BOV today. Did the crush mod and now it stays shut tight at idle which means it idles better too. Still chasing the cold start issue, should have a new CTS soon and new wiring. Hopefully that fixes it. It runs strong from about 2500 all the way to redline now and feels a little smoother. Once I get it running properly I can get started on all the metal work inside and it'll be RallyX ready for next year!

• 1 year later...