Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new to me 1980 Subaru GL Brat.

Hopefully this is in the right place. If not I apologize.

I already had an introduction thread in the noobs section so I won't go into my details.

But, I was looking for a quad-head light GL in the 78-81 flavor. Low and behold I ended up tracking this down last week. As of last Friday it is mine for $400. The guy is delivering it to Denver (an hour away) for me to pick up. That will be after he drives 4 hours to deliver?! So I threw in another $100 for that huge trouble. But, he offered and is a really great guy.

So unless it falls through, I have a Brat!

Here are the CL pics:

1980SubaruBratfrontright.jpg

1980SubaruBratfrontleft.jpg

1980SubaruBratrear.jpg

Might be 100,000 or maybe 200,000?

1980SubaruBratspeedo.jpg

Pics that were sent to me:

Interior - looks like fun.

Interior.jpg

Bed appears to have all chrome?

Bed.jpg

She will need a clutch, output bearings, and general TLC under here.

undercarriage-front.jpg

What do you think? New door and fender?

Fender-doordamage.jpg

So, this will be my process thread and I will post more when she is home next week. Can't wait to go through here and see what is missing.

So far I am pretty sure I need a left fender, left door or skin, front bumper, spare, catback, left rear light, head-rests, etc.

jon

Edited by O.C.D.

As far as I know, the seats are the same for all years. The brackets are generally welded in, although I modified mine so I can take them out with 4 bolts.

Your seat belts are not stock, but I would only change them if you want to really be a purist. They will likely work just fine.

Great find. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with her. :popcorn:

Darn on the seat belts. I never would have known, thanks.

I was thinking that the jump seats were all the same. Is the frame the same as well? Does my set look like a stock frame?

Thanks.

And yes, I have high hopes for her. based on the pics I think I found a pretty good one for the money.

This should be in the historic section. The seat brackets are all the same. Yours appears to have all the mounting tabs cut off. That can be fixed though. You need to get the correct headrests for it though. That is the slider that the headrest slides up and down on. The head pad itself is the same. The 78-81 are the same. In the Gen 2 Brats the headrests sliders are actually a different length and you would need to drill new holes to get them right, It's not a big deal to do it though.

Edited by Subieguy

If you'd like to see my brackets and some other tricks I've figured out, check out my album: 1981 Subaru Brat Restoration Tips and Tricks

EDIT: I changed the above link to a different one that still shows the comments about exactly how I did things. Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by bendecker

This should be in the historic section. The seat brackets are all the same. Yours appears to have all the mounting tabs cut off. That can be fixed though. You need to get the correct headrests for it though. That is the slider that the headrest slides up and down on. The head pad itself is the same. The 78-81 are the same. In the Gen 2 Brats the headrests sliders are actually a different length and you would need to drill new holes to get them right, It's not a big deal to do it though.

Sorry about the wrong section. I looked and couldn't decide. Thanks for the info on the headrests. I can easily fix that tabs by welding a removable set of brackets on there. Just gotta find some, lol.

If you'd like to see my brackets and some other tricks I've figured out, check out my album: 1981 Subaru Brat Restoration Tips and Tricks

Unfortunately, Google deleted all the comments I had put in about exactly how I did things. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the link, will check out right now. If I have questions I will ask, thanks.

Still learning more about these old gals. Love the fact there is such a community supporting them. Great website!

I know I am blowing up my own thread but what do you all think about the general condition of the Brat itself? This will be my first resto on a vehicle and have yet to see what I am getting myself into.

From what I have seen in pics she is pretty rust free aside from the typical fender rust and that door/fender that needs to be replaced.

Any insights about what you see above would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Nice score! A few years ago, I lived in Laramie and sold some gen 1 Brat parts to an older gentleman that I believe owned that same Brat! I remember the door and fender damage pretty clearly and the color scheme. Looks like its still in great shape though and glad it found another great owner:headbang:

Ok, I went and picked her up last Saturday. Note to self, do not tow Subaru's with Wranglers, lol. I had no choice as my truck fell through. So I drove 2 and a half hours to meet the guy halfway. When I first pulled up I was wondering what I got myself into. Then he fired it up and drove her off the trailer.

Anyway.

This is cool. When I picked her up:

IMG_0661.jpg

When I got home:

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0662.jpg

Two free wheels and the stock exhaust, lol:

IMG_0665.jpg

Headlights all work, some blinkers, lol:

IMG_0666.jpg

Tailgate is perfect?!

IMG_0667.jpg

My concerns were all there. Did I waste the money? Was this a bad Brat?

I got her in the garage and started cleaning the bed. I cannot believe this but there is only a bit of surface rust anywhere to be found!

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

For fun I threw the jumpseats in the bed:

IMG_0672.jpg

I got the drive her around the block and I am already in love. Gonna go drop off the 2011 WRX right now to drive the 1980 Brat, lol.

SO, what is definitely wrong. I basically need a new fender on the drivers side, all corner lights and many other things.

IMG_0685.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0687.jpg

IMG_0684.jpg

I cut that hideous bumper off - weighed about 50 pounds!

IMG_0683.jpg

Roof is perfect!

IMG_0682.jpg

No cracks in any of the glass and the rear windows still slide. Cleaned the front.

IMG_0678.jpg

Inside she is really dirty. Found extra panels in there, all the skids are there too. Original tool kit is there as well.

IMG_0676.jpg

Please tell me these are original seats?

IMG_0677-1.jpg

Need handle surrounds and door card snaps, etc..

IMG_0675.jpg

Steering wheel is toast but the horn works, lol.

IMG_0679.jpg

And no lower console?!

IMG_0681.jpg

So, I have my work cut out for me. She is not that bad in my opinion. Compared to what is out there this is a great little runner. Needs a clutch and output bearings.

She will be restored as best I can and with some mods.

Hope you all like her?!

Jon

• Like 1

Well, I just picked her up from home to come back to work. I love this Brat! People were looking at me like I am crazy. Good for them, lol.

Thought the gas gauge was busted so I put in a few bucks and the gauge rose. Temperature gauge works as well but cold air from the heater? Wonder what that is from - no hose connection?

IMG_0690.jpg

Only bad thing was the large amounts of front diff fluid where the output bearing leaked the last 2 days. Gotta get that done asap. Any ideas on how hard that will be? Gotta drop the tranny and engine for that one I am thinking.

The bumper is bolted but I would never use it again. Had a wild hair with the Sawzall that night, lol.

Oh well, guess those seats will have to do. Finding parts for these is next to impossible. I have been scouring the web and local yards, nothing. Called Subaru in Boulder and found a single replacement rear lens and that is it!

I am starting to doubt the restoration if I can't even find lights and blinkers. But I know these things take time so I have to be patient and keep searching.

Speaking of lights and blinkers, I don't have a Haynes or Chilton as of yet but I need to at least get some bulbs in the front to make the signals work. Do any of you know the bulb type/size of the blinkers up front? Maybe even the running light bulbs too?