Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2011 Forester Safety Belt Replacement

Hi! I bought a 2011 Forester with the new engine that has the timing chain!

It has only 900km on it, this vehicle was a write off (head on), of course both airbags blew along with both front safety belts!

Now my question is, if i replace both airbags (including resetting airbag module) but will use older subaru model safety belts (without the restrain mechanism) will the system show the check engine, air bag or any other faulty codes?

I appreciate any help i get from u guys!!

This seems like a strange request...

1) Did you consider the fact that the factory airbags and seatbelts are designed to work together as a system, and that there may be safety implications (including additional injury) if they are not matched?

2) Why would you skimp on a safety item, on a car that has already received significant damage in the past? Crumple zones don't always work the same after being repaired - you will need all the extra safety margin you can get if there is another accident.

3) Is it even legal in Canada to replace a primary restraint with a different style that wasn't original to the car? I'm pretty sure it isn't legal in the USA, and it would open you up to tremendous legal liabilities, particularly if you sold the car and the next owner had an accident and was injured.

In some provinces in Canada u even can pass safety with Airbag lights on!

Lets put it this way, if it would be possible i would take every single airbag out of the car, its useless to me and too expensive!

But like i said i replaced all the parts with original parts but i cant see myself paying $800 for each airbag plus $450 for each safety belts!

For my province they said, they dont care what i got inside as long as there are no faulty codes stored in the system, thats why im asking if the belts do send a signal or a code to the system?

They design the computer, and the airbags to work properly together. The computer "knows" exactly how to control the airbag that's stock to the car.

Many these days have adjustable force of deployment depending on the weight in the seat.

If you replace the airbag with one of a different model, the computer will not know this. It may cause it not to work at all, may cause it to deploy at random, may cause it to deploy with way to much force. Think a child (obv. old enough) in the seat.

Since it's such a fine tuned system, there's a good chance putting an older model airbag in there won't work properly.

I doubt anyone is going to have direct experience swapping the wrong airbag into that particular car, and if they do, probably won't speak up. It's a really bad idea.

It's probably safer to completely ged rid of the airbags than it is to monkey with the system. What would happen if the airbag went off at random while you were taking a turn on the highway because you hit a pot hole?

I know it would probably scare the bajesus out of me, I'd probably crash.

I'd start looking for another one of that year that's been totaled, but the airbags didn't deploy. Side impact or rear end may not deploy the front airbags.