Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new brat project!

shortysayhi

Oh, and by the way here is your tail light. I bought all NOS lenses for my '80 Brat from this guy in the UK. He is super cool and quick to ship. May be more than the states but guess what, there are very few in the states.

And if anyone else is needing lenses he still has some NOS sets. I think I paid about $160 total for all 4 lenses for my Brat.

Just an fyi.

As you are not going for a full resto I would buy some different seats. Reupholstering is going to be near that cost anyways. Heck, new ones are always better anyway.

Oh, and by the way here is your tail light. I bought all NOS lenses for my '80 Brat from this guy in the UK. He is super cool and quick to ship. May be more than the states but guess what, there are very few in the states.

And if anyone else is needing lenses he still has some NOS sets. I think I paid about $160 total for all 4 lenses for my Brat.

Just an fyi.

Well the seats are Almost the same!!! its 21 vs 20 inch wide, 36.5 vs 34 inch tall, 21 vs 20 inch deep. i still have to double check my measurements for the mounting but they should work, and are WAY comfy! They are also HALf the price to get the originals re- upholstered.

I think i paid $30 for all 3 of my lights including the trim pieces around the lights! so 80 is wayyyy to much for me.

Wow you got lucky I had to rebuild the whole floor pan in the back on both sides. I am glad that is over. :clap: Looks good.

that would have been the better thing for me to do, but this passenger side rockers and underside of the outside frame rails are russssstttttteeedddd out! in the second picture that whole panel that I'm welding was rusted out and someone did a crappy job bondo-ing it b4.

or u could find another brat thats parting out/junk yard and cut the roof off, when u do that cut part of the wind shield post off.

Im not that willing to take a risk! ha

So my idea was maybe sandwiching the OLD roof skin with 2 new sheets of steel.

Or a sheet on top or under, and use bondo

I understand, I might be wrong here but from what he is doing this is going to be a real beater. Something to take out and beat until it wish it was never born at the Subaru factory.:headbang: I would just patch the hole and use fiber mix metal bondo that does not let water or moisture in. This is what they call Patina :clap: With patches. Keep it up.:cool:

Oh it's goonna last trust me :) but yes I will drive it till it can't anymore, and then fix it some more! :headbang:

I was thinking easiest thing is just weld a sheet on the exterior after cleaning up the rust and covering it with rust protectant. It would be simple and would work.

or u could find another brat thats parting out/junk yard and cut the roof off, when u do that cut part of the wind shield post off.

Just be sure to stagger your metal on your A-pillars, dont make a "clean break point."

What I did on my Forester's quarter...

Note, the little bit of metal under where there'll be a butt-weld...

IMAG0935.jpg

Staggering Metals:

IMAG0934.jpg

More staggering, especially in "impact" areas.

IMAG0909.jpg

80's ptuey! :)

Take it easy kids. No offense means - no offense. Just having fun. 80's Cars just aren't so historic to me.

It appears to have been moved, but omg, this reminded me of something...

You'd be amazed about the car situation here in Ireland... "Classic" sections of adfinders online are 1995-2000 year-ed cars!!!

I'm looking for a 1991 Legacy or a 1970s ANYTHING Subaru and it's scary difficult! I'm glad I didn't sell my Leone back in Missouri, the older Scoobies are getting hard to find throughout the world!

Over all, my best advice is just set goals for yourself... and if your're "static" on the build/work, put away $20/week for yourself in an account. You'll be surprised how quickly you amass substantial build money. A build will never fail to surprise you, being semi prepared for surprises makes for a much happy builder!

Love the Brat!

coundn't u cut out the rust wholes and dents on the roof and weld a piece of metal in the inside of the cab then use bondo on top and make it look really good?

That was one of my ideas, but I think. That since there are so many dents and holes, that I'm going to weld a piece on TOP and then bondo around it. So it's flat and all. I don't mind dents on the inside since it will be covered up by the carpet stuff

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Alight well I really haven't worked on this... Got to busy with buying a jeep and then having the xt6 have a full clutch failure. Then a transmission swap on my gl10.

I need a better welder for this, because the wire feed just isn't working to well...

Edited by shortysayhi

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...