Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i want to swap my 00 legacy with a wrx motor

hi im new to the forum and new to subarus i have a 2000 legacy L i would like to swap the motors out witha wrx or ive found turbo kits but ive heard its a waste of time and money the kits only allow you to range your boost from 4 to 6psi to be safe. So my questions are should i condsider a wrx swap out or just buy the turbo kit. And any tips on where to find or how to do a swap or what year motor should i look for to swap.

thanks mike

It's been done a thousand times before so no need to worry about being a trailblazer. May I suggest you checking out sl-i.net and their swap forum: http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewforum.php?f=31&sid=8550d0efb26fb80b34712357be777a5b

In order to do a WRX (EJ20) swap, you'll need the engine, wiring and turbo crossmember to make it work. All EJ series engines match up to EJ series trans so no worry there. It really isn't THAT big of a deal but can get pricey. This isn't because of fab work (none is really needed), it's just because WRX and STi engines are still not cheap.

A few companies make turbo kits (AVO comes to mind) for NA EJ25s, both the dual cam Phase I and single cam Phase II like yours but like you mentioned before, these open deck blocks can't hold more than 6 psi before something mega breaks.

What you do all depends on how much cash you have and your goals. If you just want a quick DD, I would ditch the turbo plan and contact Delta Cams on this board. The NA EJ25 responds better to cam, head and exhaust work anyways: it was never meant to eat boost.

Buy a turbo car. Not worth the effort to do a swap unless it's something really special and unless you have done a dozen engine swaps it will never be as good as just buying a car that's already got a turbo from the factory.

GD

Agreed. WRXs are dirt cheap from where they were 5 years ago.

Hey thanks everyone you guys are super helpful and ive been pricing out the motor to swap when i ran into a b4 rsk and nonturbo b4 can you buy them in the us? and how much more costly would that be then swaping the ej20? i've been reading that the b4 can up hold wat more then the ej20 so is that a better route then my other plan?

Hey thanks everyone you guys are super helpful and ive been pricing out the motor to swap when i ran into a b4 rsk and nonturbo b4 can you buy them in the us? and how much more costly would that be then swaping the ej20? i've been reading that the b4 can up hold wat more then the ej20 so is that a better route then my other plan?

I don't have a clue what you just asked.

I don't have a clue what you just asked.

I believe hes asking if he can get a Legacy B4 RSK or a Legacy B4 :slobber: in the United States and if that option would be a better option than EJ20 swapping his Legacy... and I believe intertwined in that, hes asking if the Legacy B4/B4 RSK can hold up to more power than an EJ20

I could be wrong though :banghead:

If you ran into a B4 and or a B4 RSK here in the states it's either a USDM BE Sedan with B4 body parts or it isn't here legally.

They used the twin turbo EJ20 which is internally just as strong as 2.0 liter WRX engine but you can't swap that unless you have a right hand drive postal car.