Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber bogs bad under stress at low rpms??

I finally got the oppertunity to go out and try my latest mods on my 87 ea82 gl, new weber carb and snorkel adapt. i just put a crappy pepboys cone filter on there for the test. wen going threw sugar sand (floridas finest) it would bog down and go the a crawl if i didnt keep it above 2200 rpm, if i floor it to long up to 4500 rpm it will spuder SOMETIMES, never in first just in 2-5 i had to keep my car in a 2300-4500rpm rang witch kind sucks cuz one the road its quick i can feel the power (what little it has), no problems, under stress i think it gets too much gas? my choke is not hooked up is tht a rason?

110yow3.jpg

(the snorkle stops were a fuel injected airbox would be)

Not having the power wire going to the choke will pretty much keep it always choked. The electric Weber choke works by heating up and then staying hot. This gradually opens it as the engine warms up.

Granted it's all a bit more complex than that as there are linkages involved as well. (Which should be opening it as the throttle opens) But that gives you the idea.

I'm not 100% on how the EA82 is. But on my EA81 the Hitachi had an electric choke. I just made a wire that plugged into the proper terminal on the plug that went to the stock carb and ran it to the Weber choke (now that I got it going and know it passes emissions I'll proly cannibalize the plug that was on the stock carb to make it look neater).

Are you maybe stickin your foot to the floor, too early? with the weber having a mechanical secondary, the carb wants to opened gradually, and proportionally to what kind of RPMs your running. my rule of thumb is, if your between 2-3000 RPMs, the throttle should be open 2/3 of the way. between 3-4000, open it 3/4 of the way. 4-5000 = floor it.

I could be wrong, but I get good power (hahaha!) driveability and mileage out of it that way.

Did you install a fuel regulator when you did the swap? Sometimes the sputtering at high rpms is because the fuel pump is putting out more fuel than the weber likes. I had the same problem, but a fuel regulator helped a lot.

This is Probly true I forgot to mention I have a universale 4-6 cylinder fuel pump, it's Probly flooding the motor, what kind of regulator did you get?

Cheap regulators suck. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you want to get one that can adjust down to around 3 to 4 psi accurately. It kind of sounds like it's running rich. Check your plugs to be sure, then clean them up before retuning. I agree about driving the carb in stages, but if its properly tuned, you should be able to put your foot in it above 2000 rpm without it crashing.

What main jets and air correctors are you running? What's your altitude?