Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SO... clay, my roommate decided to buy a EJ25D block off of me for his postal wagon and build a frankie. He bought his head gaskets from World-Pac, contrary to my advice and they are supposed to fit the 2.5 engine. He bolted everything together tonight and torqued the heads by spec and now the motor won't roll over. It can be turned about 170* and then bumps to a stop. the cams were set to their marks before they were bolted on so we are sure the valves haven't interfered. any help on what is going on? I am certain it is the gasket's fault, but want to make sure before we pull the heads off and try again.

Since he can turn it over about half way, it's also possible he dropped something down the intake. You know, a washer, small bolt, etc. It's amazing how often this happens. At least he found out before installing the engine, trying to actually start it, and totally destroying the insides!

Out of curiousity, how much did he save buying this gasket instead of an OEM?

Haha its funny, he didn't. he paid $4 more total for them. I ordered mine from 1stsubaruparts.com for 36 and change each, and he paid 38 and change for them from worldpac. He didn't want to wait for the shipping. :Flame:

The guy that sold them to him was at autoscience. http://www.dallassubarurepair.com. told him they were the same specs as the dealer ones. LOL. I could see they were NOT. they weren't riveted, they were just "stamped" together.

Not to rain on the parade, but the World pac gaskets are the OEM gaskets. They are the exact same ones that Subaru uses here in Richmond. Same packaging and even the same part numbers used by the dealers.

The gaskets that you need to use are the ones for the DOHC motor and you wont have the problem of the piston hitting the head, if that is the problem you are having. I speak from experience having had a piston slap the head in a rebuild. I had to tear the engine back out of the car and regasket it and that sucked. Luckily, no damage to the heads.

Good Luck.

get this problem when i plane the blocks gets to close to the heads its only the 96-98 twin cam 2.5s that have potruding pistons i take the factory 2.5 headgasket apart to get indavidual shims to set head hight to compansate for planing carfull have bent rods from piston to close to head if its a 2.5 d core save some greif and put rod berrings in it before you start they were to small for app some they are always bad even low miles takes abit of work but will last way better

I'm about to do this build and I purchased Fel Pro head gaskets for the EJ25 and they even have the Fuji Heavy logo in them. I definitely plan on rolling the engine over slowly by hand while it's on the stand before I assume everything is good to go and drop it in the car.

Not to rain on the parade, but the World pac gaskets are the OEM gaskets. They are the exact same ones that Subaru uses here in Richmond. Same packaging and even the same part numbers used by the dealers.

The gaskets that you need to use are the ones for the DOHC motor and you wont have the problem of the piston hitting the head, if that is the problem you are having. I speak from experience having had a piston slap the head in a rebuild. I had to tear the engine back out of the car and regasket it and that sucked. Luckily, no damage to the heads.

Good Luck.

The guy must have sold him SOHC gaskets then, because I am looking at my dealer gaskets and the one's that he got, and they are not the same. :burnout:

I'm about to do this build and I purchased Fel Pro head gaskets for the EJ25 and they even have the Fuji Heavy logo in them. I definitely plan on rolling the engine over slowly by hand while it's on the stand before I assume everything is good to go and drop it in the car.

there is talk out there about the fel-pro's having repeat failures. I won't use them. Why would Fuji undercut their own gaskets? I think they are a superceded gasket that subaru redesigned. even if the coating is different, it could cause refailure.

the fel-pros are 39.99 each, the dealer here charges 49 each and 1stsubaruparts.com sells them for 36.61 (?) plus shipping and if you buy the sep plate at the same time, it only comes out to about 110 shipped. good peace of mind if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Yeah probably the gaskets. I've read about the "peek-a-boo" pistons that stick up out of the block by some small amount. You have to use a certain thick gasket in order for the pistons to not hit the cylinder head.

Can't really see it here but yeah they do by a tiny amount

IMAG0812.jpg

lololol I love stock photos too, just as long as the gasket is correct I dont care. :grin:

here is the post with cometic info, that just happened to be the only place I could find to buy it online.

I would probobly buy it direct from cometic

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631527&page=11

Edited by Ricearu

they weren't riveted, they were just "stamped" together.

Sounds like a phase II headgasket. They have 4 thin layers, stamped toghether.

Phase I gaskets have 3 layers, with the middle one being thicker, and they are riveted in the corners.

Which would make sense, since the phase II 2.5 uses shorter pistons, which don't come out of the block.