Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another RWD option

Numbchux

I'm sure it'll be a few years before these start showing up used, but theoretically a person could walk into a Subaru or Scion dealer in a few months and order a bellhousing much like what Bill is making (although I'm sure it's much more expensive). Check out these pics of the BRZ running gear

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3981

Now, I know that the fb20 and fa20 engines (BRZ gets the fa, IIRC) use the same bolt pattern as the 8-bolt EJs, the question will be, what transmission is that? likely a Toyota unit, like the rear diff.

Starter is in the wrong position for EJ-use...

look again. you can see the familiar opening on the left side for the starter. I'm assuming this setup uses a different flywheel with more offset, so the starter doesn't protrude into the engine bellhousing.

Diid anyone notice that the oil filter is on the Top of the engine...?

yep, the new FA and FB series engines both have the filter on top. They also use timing chains and asymmetrical rods like the EZ36DR.

and yes, I've heard the transmission and rear diff are Lexus units as well.

look again. you can see the familiar opening on the left side for the starter. I'm assuming this setup uses a different flywheel with more offset, so the starter doesn't protrude into the engine bellhousing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5169&stc=1&d=1330656888

Looks like you'd have to notch the normal EJ bellhousing mating surface on the passenger side to fit the starter. EJ's don't have a bulge on both sides.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5169&stc=1&d=1330656888

Looks like you'd have to notch the normal EJ bellhousing mating surface on the passenger side to fit the starter. EJ's don't have a bulge on both sides.

The passenger side "ear" would just stick out.

There would be a bit of a cavity down into the clutch area, but that could be capped off......or left open.....wouldn't matter.

Might interfere with a turbo though :rolleyes:

****edit.

Now I get it. he meant notch the adpatrer to use that trans with an EJ engine..........Yeah.....maybe would have to notch.

on a side note.....I wonder if that Rear end set up will make it's way to newer subarus. Might open up some stronger diff and axle options.

Edited by Gloyale

Those photos are amazing, I love it. I can't wait to drive one. I also can't wait to drive the new 2012 Impreza especially with the CVT mounted to the 2.0 engine. I think it will be decent. Finally in Corolla territory for MPG.

:L the comments on the thread about the boxer being hard to work on. His loss.

• 2 weeks later...

From the reading I have done its going to have a rear end common to the nonturbo supra and is300 stuff, which was a IRS 8", which was the same size ring and pinion as the truck stuff. So gears oh plenty, and lockers and spools and lsds. Oh my.

But that's all from reading, it's going to take someone to crack it open and see for sure.