Ultimate Subaru Message Board

first gen BRAT spotted.....(purchase secured)

Hopefully this can be something I can convince the owner to part with. My roommate spotted it sitting behind the fence.

It looks like it still has the back seats and the head rests..

It would look great with a new paint job and some wheels...

But the best thing that would make it look good is if it were sitting in front of my house.:banana:

Will be talking to the owner this week...

Got a chance to look at it close up.

looks like it only have the head rests, roll bar, carpet and the seat belts in the rear. Engine looks like a ea71 or ea811 couldn't tell. I am guessing 71 b/c the air filter looks different from the EA81 I have. The plates were last registered in 1996.

Ohh and best of all it has Jackman rims all the way around.:D

Didn't get to speak to the owner yet, but will do it in a few months, the way I figure it, it's been sitting there so long, it will probably sit there longer. I will have the means to make an offer then.

it definatly has a EA71 in it... the only way it would have a EA81 in it is if they swapped it out... doesn't look like they spent a lot of time on modifying it is it must be an EA71

have fun owning a gen 1 Brat... good luck getting it...

Son,lemme give you a little advice....

DON'T ASSUME IT'LL BE THERE TOMORROW,let alone in a few months.

Take it from experience.Learn from other people's mistakes.It's always best to make contact,at least leave a note that won't get lost,something like that.

Let them know that whenever the time comes to just call you first.

Good luck

it definatly has a EA71 in it... the only way it would have a EA81 in it is if they swapped it out... doesn't look like they spent a lot of time on modifying it is it must be an EA71

have fun owning a gen 1 Brat... good luck getting it...

'81 GL Brats came with the EA81 and D/R 4sp.

otherwise moosens will get to it before you do ;)

Son,lemme give you a little advice....

DON'T ASSUME IT'LL BE THERE TOMORROW,let alone in a few months.

Take it from experience.Learn from other people's mistakes.It's always best to make contact,at least leave a note that won't get lost,something like that.

Let them know that whenever the time comes to just call you first.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

hmm... called the alleged owner yesterday and found out that he has no idea about the BRAT.

He suggested I try to find the owner of the property.

So I get to spend my day off tracking him down

Well spent a few hours w/my roommate tracking the owner.

Found out who he was and secured the purchase of the BRAT for $200.00

Let the banana start dancing:banana:

So here are the details. Here is the good, 1978 black/gray BRAT, EA71 engine, pretty clean, about 100k on the odometer. Body has no rust. Interior is pretty clean. Bed has all of the chrome trim and the seat belts, head rests and the carpet intact. Since I scavenged the jump seat a while back, I will get those put in. Jackman shoes all around. Has a roll bar (not sure if it's factory) and the A push bar.

Here is the bad. front bumper narfed. paint severely faded, driver side and tail gate door handles are broken, dent in the ps side, dent in the tail gate, missing 4wd mud flap on the d/s.

Overall SWEET FIND :headbang: :headbang:

BW

Ohh.. yeah, that's the ugly... not sure if it runs. It ran when it was pulled into the spot, but that was back in 1996.

Luckily it's only about 1 mile from my house so we are going to hook up a tow chain to it and pull the sucker back to my pad. Put a little oil in the cylinder and hand turn the crank a few times. Pour some starting fluid in the carby, drain the gas tank and put some good gas in and cross our fingers.

BTW any suggestions for a name? the plate has the three letters R-Q-P.

I originally thought of our Quipie, like in Quipie doll, but that would just imasculate the BRAT. Maybe Astro, as in Astrodroid RQ-P1...?

BW