Ultimate Subaru Message Board

vented vs non vent front rotors?

I replaced my front brake caliper (83 GL wagon) with one that came from a vented rotor setup. The outside brake pad fell off a week later, and I was wondering if the caliper for the vented rotors is wider and would allow that to happen on a non-vented rotor. The part that slides and holds the outer pad looks the same, maybe the throw of the brake piston is shorter for the wider vented rotors?

Also, what years had the vented rotors?

The brake fluid resevoir was empty after only a week, so maybe I didn't tighten the fitting enough and that allowed it to get sloppy enough to let the pad fall out?

Rotor, caliper bracket and caliper are all specific to vent/non vent. setup.

1983 and up are all fair game for Vented but the early 83's dont, and the late 83's dont if they aren't wagon or Brat models. 4wd models got it first.

I would assume the vented rotors are matched to a wider caliper. I know thats how the v dubs are set up and I tink sube is the same. if this is the case yeah you need to get some vented rotors. I think 85 had vented. not to sure about the older ones.

brake fluid loss:eek:

make sure its not leaking any. it may have just taken alot to fill the calipers?

Thanks for the info. I pulled everything from the bad side and replaced with a complete setup I found at the junkyard, so it should all match now. Next weekend I'll go to the same car and harvest the other side, so my front setup matches.

No luck finding rear disk brakes for a conversion. My fancy 28" Buckshots are sitting around waiting for me to do the 6 lug conversion.