Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Axle question.

Is it ok to go with the ones on ebay or where can I find them? Want the best quality ones possible, not too worried about the price.

EMPI from RockAuto or Amazon(they are new and properly case hardened.)

MWE is a well respected rebuilder of Subaru axles.

maybe Raxles

Supposedly, rebuilts from the dealer are good.

Everyone seems to agree the worst are from parts retailers like A'Zone, O'reilly, etc.

you can start some arguments with this question, like engine oil discussions.

You can reboot them yourself - but it sounds like you need more than just a boot on one of yours. Somefolks will swap sides so the force is on 'almost' new surfaces.

Personally, I have an EMPI on the wife's Outback. Zero problems so far. (do not torque with the wheel on the ground)

Well from what ive read the Cardone axles are the same ones that Oreilly and Autozone sell under a different lable. Unless I can find some better ones somewhere I will probably just pick them up from Oreilly's since they have a lifetime warranty I can just swap them out if I have issues. Don't plan on lifting the brat or doing anything crazy so shouldn't be under extra strain. Still can't find rear axles anywhere though.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't messed with it yet, been focusing on getting the electrical issues and the heater assembly sorted out first. thinking I might just buy all new boots and try swapping all of the joints around as suggested. Anyone suggest a good place to buy new boots (links or part numbers would be nice :))

Again, I would buy only oem Subaru boots, likely from your LD. They're not expensive. Use zip ties or safety wire to secure the ends and buy the CV grease in a tube from NAPA. Take the joint completely apart to clean and inspect. Not difficult and not worth doing it any other way IMHO, unless you feel your time is cheap and you'd like the practice of doing it again in a year or 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Looked on 1stsubaruparts and saw a few different things and wasn't sure which ones I actually need. I have heard that you can just get one CV boot that will work in all 8 spots...can someone direct me to which one I need to buy? (plan on getting at least 8 and going ahead and replacing all of the boots at once.) Or am I wrong and I need to get different ones for each spot?

Contact Front wheel drive supply in Hurst TX. I have had MANY, MANY axles, hubs and driveshafts serviced there. They are great , fast and reasonable.

Front Wheel Drive Supply

808 W Hurst Blvd, Hurst, Texas76053

Name: Front Wheel Drive Supply

Street: 808 West Hurst Boulevard

Hurst, tx 76053-7502

Phone: (817) 284-8187

Looked on 1stsubaruparts and saw a few different things and wasn't sure which ones I actually need. I have heard that you can just get one CV boot that will work in all 8 spots...can someone direct me to which one I need to buy? (plan on getting at least 8 and going ahead and replacing all of the boots at once.) Or am I wrong and I need to get different ones for each spot?

I have no experience with doing this (well, a very long time ago, I tried a split boot on a Honda - didn't las a month)

BUT, maybe you'remebering this;http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118248

also, if you do decide to go with a local rebuilder - MANY people (including me) have successfully used DAPE in north Fort Worth. (around 33rd street I think. )

Anyone know if all of the axles are the same? Every place I have called said they are getting the same part number for all of the axles. Anyone know for sure? Trying to get the parts coming tonight or tomorrow before I go out of town for the weekend and wont have time to take them off and measure and check them out before I go. And yes, that was a write-up I had read about the boots and such thanks.

Edited by BlindSight

Nevermind, had a death in the family so stayed in town and was able to get the axle off and it is clearly different. The boots do all look to be the same though. Going to go ahead and order one new axle and rebuild the other 3.

It has begun...

IMG_20120413_192258.jpg

Edited by BlindSight