Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There were two EJ22's available in 1999 Imprezas. I think it was a change - mid year. What do you guys know about the differences. I have one that has a plastic oil separator plate but I thought they changed that in phase II engines. What is this one?

I did a valve adjustment on it and basic tuneup. It's roller rocker and very similar intake setup to my 1998 legacy outback 2.5 hydro lifter engine, if that any clue.

Thanks GD. Yeah they do go though the covers. I replaced all the seals, etc, when I did the valve adjustment. I know my 98 is bucket/shim. When that dies, instead of fixing the heads I might use the block and build a dual port frankenmotor for it. Will the 2.2 dual port heads fit the dohc intake manifold and exhaust? Just want to know what to look for when the time comes.

On topic: It looks like the Phase II 2.2 on my engine stand has a plastic oil separator cover.

The old 2.2 has the spark plug wire enter thru the head itself, the newer one goes thru the valve cover first.

Thanks. If you ever make it down to Durango, give me a heads-up and I'll show you my soobs or we can go wheeling or something.

Will the 2.2 dual port heads fit the dohc intake manifold and exhaust?
99 EJ22's are single port exhaust, not dual port. are you talking about your 99 engine or do you have a 95 you haven't mentioned yet (which are dual port exhaust)

i think i can still answer your question: the *only* intake manifold that fits on a DOHC EJ25 is the DOHC EJ25 intake manifold. there are no EJ22 intake manifolds that will bolt up to the EJ25 DOHC heads. does that help?

99 Phase II EJ22's are single port exhausts so you'll need the exhaust manifolds. the intakes are not compatible with earlier Phase I EJ25's or EJ22's.

99 EJ22's are single port exhaust, not dual port. are you talking about your 99 engine or do you have a 95 you haven't mentioned yet (which are dual port exhaust)

i think i can still answer your question: the *only* intake manifold that fits on a DOHC EJ25 is the DOHC EJ25 intake manifold. there are no EJ22 intake manifolds that will bolt up to the EJ25 DOHC heads. does that help?

99 Phase II EJ22's are single port exhausts so you'll need the exhaust manifolds. the intakes are not compatible with earlier Phase I EJ25's or EJ22's.

Well that settles that. Thanks Gary.