Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seriously?!

So I bought my Subaru sometime around a year ago thinking, wow, these are cool cars. I can have a 4x4 lifted wagon that gets great mileage and is so easy to work on. I drove it home almost 100 miles in the winter with no heat, but no issues either. I was so excited. It was awesome to drive.

Fast forward one year from that day. I have worked on this car and put more money into it than the total miles I have driven it. To date I have put in a new thermostat, all new hoses and vacuum lines, timing belt kit, resealed the cam towers, the crank, and the oil pump, new water pump, Fel-Pro head gasket kit, new NGK plugs and wires, wheel bearings, various other things such as cleaning, rewiring, filters (air, oil, and gas), and an oil change.

I have learned so much just about cars too. I learned how to change timing belts and how to time an engine (at least a Subaru), I gained the confidence to tackle a head gasket job and replace wheel bearings. I even got my taillights to work again last night. And I could not have done any of it if it was not for the awesome Subaru enthusiasts on this board.

So, before I decide to sell or junk (or provide death by rust due to spite) my Soob, please help me get my vehicle on the road for more than an hour. I have very little patients left with this car, but I really do love it so much and want nothing more than to drive it. By the way it is a 91 Loyale EA82 5 speed with push button 4x4.

I really can't tell you the issues I am having with it other than one day it starts (yesterday) and the next it wont. It ran like a champ yesterday. today it will not even try to start. I had some intermittent sputtering before I realized that the ignition coil wire to the top of the disty was corroded. So I changed it and the CEL went away and it ran great. I checked my timing and it is at 18* which is a little off, but I can't seem to get it any better than that. Anyway, please help.

And I wont sell it or junk it by the way. If anything I will go broke trying to get it back on the road and my wife will divorce me for it.

+1 Especially the ground on the left (pass) side of the intake where it bolts to the head. If that isn't CLEAN and tight it will wreak havoc. Trust me, it kicked my butt and I've got 25+ years as a tech. lol

Is that the one by the thermostat housing?

It's an EA82. There's a reason most of us dont like them. They are a low point in Subarus history. EA81's are much simpler and thus more reliable. And EJ22's are also simpler and thus more reliable. It's just the nature of those cars.

No one ever puts the EA82 into another body. It's always being replaced by EA81's and EJ22's. Now you know why

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Mines an EA81 but I had a problem where the fuel pump would quit here and there on me (I've since replaced it).

The first time it did it while driving and I crawled under the car on the side of the highway and unplugged it and plugged it back in, was fine for a year or so.

Cleaned up the plug once I was home.

Then it recently would do what you described. I would turn the car on and it would crank. But the pump was not running so no start. If I turned it on and off a few times the pump would finally start to run (can hear it on mine due to no interior). And then it would start up and be fine. Some days it would do that, then it would be fine for a few weeks.

Until the pump finally blew out at the dunes and took the fuse with it.

Put a new pump in and no problems since.

Just might be something to check.

... one day it starts (yesterday) and the next it wont. It ran like a champ yesterday. today it will not even try to start...

Fusible Links!

Worn and / or Rusted Contacts on the Fusible Links could Cause That Behaviour.

Also Bad Starter Motor with Worn Carbon Contacts.

I Kindly Suggest you to Start by Checkin' Carefully those Fusible Links.

Kind Regards.