Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '84 DL COUPE

Subaru_dude

subarucoupe.jpg

2wd 5spd. 256,000 on the odo but speedo quit working probably about 6 months ago. Did oil change, trans greast change, air filter, tires and that's about it. Have a 3rd eye grill and light for it... just have to see if it even works. Needs the little seals between the front and back windows. Rear window leaks too... I'll deal with that later. Runs great and gets high 30s!!! I'll use this thread as my progress thread. Sometime this summer I plan on taking care of all the rust and possibly repainting it.

• 2 weeks later...
When did you get that thing?

The first of March. AWESOME on gas. Traded my '95 Legacy wagon for it after the clutch went out again (crooked input shaft due to failed bearing). Leaks water in the rear window and the windshield. I may have a job soon, if so I'll be putting some money into it. Starts right up EVERY time!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here she is again. Added some nice little EA82 center caps and new tires. Also piaas on the bumper. She's sitting next to my sister's '96 Legacy with 220k on the odo but it has the engine out of my Outback with 260k. Also has outback rear struts. Still haven't fixed the speedo cable in the hardtop but have fixed the front and rear window leaks with silicone. Have a small hole in driver side floor under the carpet from rust. I'm searching for a spfi car to swap into it as well as an EA81 motor.

IMG_0718.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've replaced both headlights with the upgraded kind that only needs the bulb replaced, and found some thule gutter mounts so now it has crossbars too. Will post pics tomorrow, it's gonna be a beautiful day. Oh, and I now have an EA81 to go in it with hydro lifters but am still looking for spfi wiring harness. I also have to change the fuel filter, it was barely running today.

Your '84 Subaru Coupe does Look very Good!

... I'm searching for a spfi car to swap into it as well as an EA81 motor...

So, it has the EA71 engine now?

If you already has an EA81 Engine for it, why don't you try the Weber Carb Swap?

It is Much easier than the SPFi Swap and also it keep things Simple, while gives to the EA81 More Boxer Rumble's Sound -noise- thru the Weber's throat under acceleration! :headbang:

Kind Regards.

Your '84 Subaru Coupe does Look very Good!

So, it has the EA71 engine now?

If you already has an EA81 Engine for it, why don't you try the Weber Carb Swap?

It is Much easier than the SPFi Swap and also it keep things Simple, while gives to the EA81 More Boxer Rumble's Sound -noise- thru the Weber's throat under acceleration! :headbang:

Kind Regards.

Cuz it would be cheaper for me to do the spfi swap, a friend of mine has everything I'll need except for a wiring harness. He'll give it to me for a set of Calmasters I've got. And I think the spfi will do better in colder weather... not that it gets that cold here. Hopefully he'll help me take care of the rust too.

IMG_0757_zpsad285044.jpg

IMG_0758_zps82b6709a.jpg

The 4th of July...

IMG_0729_zps7672a1e2.jpg

Me deadlifting it...

IMG_0752_zps5d9e4339.jpg

And btw yes it does have the EA71 and I have a hydro lifter EA81 to go into it. I just need a little cash to reseal it... and if I had enough I'd really rather do the weber swap, I love the sound of a nice carb rumbling under the hood...