Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two things can cause 0 compression in one cylinder:

Burnt exhaust valve: EJ22 engines have tiny exhaust valves and it's very common to find this.

Seized oil rings or even broken ring landing. Also very common, especially in a turbo engine.

Either way, you can test it any way you can think of: it's gotta come out and have some work done to it.

Ya I agree bro, I just thought if I tested it I would have an idea how far I had to go. I already have heads but if its into the rings or piston I'm going to have to order more parts. Im hoping its a valve....I'll let you guys know what I come up with. Thanks for all the input, you guys are great!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys it did end up being a burnt exhaust valve. Running way better but still have a miss. Have changed plugs, air and fuel filters and added a can of Seafood to gas tank. I have spark out of all 4 coils, spark plugs wires possibly? Any other thoughts where to look?

Did you pull both heads? Never hurts to do both if you have to take one apart.

Rechecked compression and leak down after the work?

No I did not pull both heads. I think I'm going to have the two heads that I have rebuilt and then I will put both heads on. I have a buddy that can rebuild them for me. I did not recheck compression or lperformed a eak down test but will do that and let you know the results.

No I did not pull both heads. I think I'm going to have the two heads that I have rebuilt and then I will put both heads on. I have a buddy that can rebuild them for me. I did not recheck compression or lperformed a eak down test but will do that and let you know the results.

That is actually NOT a good idea. It's old school wisdom and still holds true: if you rebuild the heads and put them back on a used bottom end (now at least 18 years old), you raise the compression and it WILL take out the bottom end. Maybe not today, not tomorrow, but it WILL do it!

You are better off just checking them out, repairing any issues (like the burnt valve) and put them back on without the rebuilds.

Emily

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, new OEM spark plug wires have been installed. Does appear to be running better but still have a miss. I also checked my vacuum and only have 13.5". I know thats low, should be like 20". I checked all vacuum lines with both carb cleaner and starting fluid and found nothing. Obviously have a leak but cant find it. Need some help finding it fella's, I'm out of ideas.....pete

Throttle body, iac, manifold base to heads, fuel rail orings. Those are the non hose areas where there can be leaks.

There are a few hidden solenoids under the intake runners. Under the passenger side (#3) is the evap purge control solenoid. Two hoses there. If it has EGR there will be a BPT valve on the drivers side by the EGR, and at least one solenoid under the #4 runner. Check all the hoses there as well, there are several metal lines with short hoses between.

PCV valve and it's related hoses where they go down to the block.

There should be one or two lines coming from the number 3 runner that split at a T. One goes to the FPR on the back of the fuel rail, it can be hard to see. The other (possibly two) runs over to the passenger strut tower if you have a MAP sensor. They connect to a solenoid over there and there's a small line that goes from the solenoid to the MAP.

Then there's the turbo stuff, which is all above me since I've never dealt with a 22t engine. But be sure to check the gasket areas carefully.

Throttle body, iac, manifold base to heads, fuel rail orings. Those are the non hose areas where there can be leaks.

There are a few hidden solenoids under the intake runners. Under the passenger side (#3) is the evap purge control solenoid. Two hoses there. If it has EGR there will be a BPT valve on the drivers side by the EGR, and at least one solenoid under the #4 runner. Check all the hoses there as well, there are several metal lines with short hoses between.

PCV valve and it's related hoses where they go down to the block.

There should be one or two lines coming from the number 3 runner that split at a T. One goes to the FPR on the back of the fuel rail, it can be hard to see. The other (possibly two) runs over to the passenger strut tower if you have a MAP sensor. They connect to a solenoid over there and there's a small line that goes from the solenoid to the MAP.

Then there's the turbo stuff, which is all above me since I've never dealt with a 22t engine. But be sure to check the gasket areas carefully.

I found 2 rubber lines (maybe 3/8") coming from the front top of my 4eat transmission connected to nothing and cant seem to find where they go. Any idea where they go and if they are vacuum lines? Thanks fella's....pete

I found 2 rubber lines (maybe 3/8") coming from the front top of my 4eat transmission connected to nothing and cant seem to find where they go. Any idea where they go and if they are vacuum lines? Thanks fella's....pete

They are vents. not supposed to be connected to anything.

Ok fella's, after several days of looking I finally found my problem. It ended up being a fuel injector(s). Not sure which one it was but I changed out the fuel rail and both injectors on #2 & #4 cylinders (left side). #4 is the cylinder that had the burnt valve so I suspected that injector but changing out the rail with both injectors in it I'm not positive. #2 injector wasn't even the right one (it was black) which makes that one suspect as well. Regardless the miss is gone! After injectors where changed I rechecked my vacuum. Its still low but did improve. Went from 13" to 15". Still 5" away from 20" but will keep looking. I plan on removing intake and installing new gaskets at a later time when I have a free weekend. When I do I will look for possible leaks while its off. Anyway stoked that the miss is gone.....ya baby!