Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch/tranny noises from my Baja

So my new to me Baja has a few peculiar noises emitting from or associated with the operation of the clutch and shifting the tranny. I've got a few ideas regarding a plan of attack, but I'd feel better having someone say "Yeah, sounds good."

"Hey, you're an idiot; try this instead" is always welcome.:lol:

Symptoms:

• A rubbing noise when the clutch pedal is pressed and the clutch is disengaged. It's middle frequency (not high pitched, not deep down chest rattling either), without any thumping or grinding noises.
  • First and second gears have a "rolling gravel" sound while the vehicle's in motion and the clutch is engaged. Depress the clutch, and the sound goes away. It's almost the same sound as loose heat shielding... except it's only in those gears (I can't hear it in the same rpm's in third and above). Most of the heat shielding has been removed by a prior owner, anyhow.
  • First and third gears can be a bit tempermental to shift into. Second, fourth, and fifth are smooth. First and third can be shifted into quietly, but it takes a light touch on the shifter, a few seconds of patience, and the clutch pedal has to be put on the floor, all the way down. Anything else usually results in grinding.

I'm thinking the pilot or throw out bearings are causing the first noise. I'm hoping the second and third issues are being caused by old/improper transmission fluid, compounded by possibly bad pilot or TO bearings. Beyond that, I can only guess that "something done ate itself" inside the transmission.

So my plan of attack:

• Change the transmission fluid. Just gonna go straight to the dealer for this, 75W-90 conventional. I've taken a quick look around some local stores, and 75W-90 is hard to find in anything but Mobile 1 Synthetic (which I've read is a no-no).
  • Pull the engine, replace the pilot and TO bearings. Swap the clutch and pressure plate while I'm in there, for giggles.
  • Start hunting for a replacement transmission that doesn't have cannibalistic tendencies. I think a 5MT from a '00 -'04 OBW (TY754VCDCA) should work.

Any thoughts?

Edited by the_bard

The rubbing noise is constant when the clutch pedal is pressed. It's not loud; highway speeds seem to cover it up. It's not the same high pitched squeal that I got out of my '97 OBW when a TOB snapped and let the TOB wander.

The gravel noise appears only in first and second gears. It seems to come and go, like gravel in a tumbler. I would have expected it to be loose heatshielding, except it does not occur in the other gears at the same engine rpm. Could be highway noise is covering it up, but I doubt it.

I should be swapping in a new clutch kit next month... I'll check the shaft for play then.