Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Gen 1 Brat Swap{Franken Motor}

SubiBratz

So about a year ago I pulled a 1978 Brat out of a barn that was sitting since 1992, so about 20 years. I never owned a brat before but I knew I always wanted one. Got the thing running by rebuilding the carb and doing a complete tune up. Needless to say the H.P. of the tiny 1.6 was not my style and read that it was next to impossible to do a EJ swap. Wont fit, will not work, and the biggest excuse why cut up a mint condition BRAT.. HA HA.. Heres how I found her....

post-37747-136027654411_thumb.jpg

post-37747-136027654419_thumb.jpg

post-37747-136027654426_thumb.jpg

post-37747-136027654431_thumb.jpg

This is the brat cleaned up right before the project started. This brat is a one owner brat with really low documented miles. The guts for this thing is next to show run no cracks, no wear and tear, pretty much driven 2,000 miles a year...

I drove it 50 miles then straight to friends Hot Rod shop in Spokane WA. for a a little fab work.. whoops lots and lots of fab work.

post-37747-136027654452_thumb.jpg

post-37747-136027654459_thumb.jpg

post-37747-136027654465_thumb.jpg

Looks like an awesome project.

I have to say i'm in the "why mess up a clean, low miles, 2 owner brat?"

You are kinda ruining the long term collector value.

Don't get me wrong, your making it a cooler car to drive and own and enjoy for a while so I get it.

It's just personally I would keep this one original.

That's all I've got to say about that

Thanks for your input but this brat is never going to be for sale and is going to be passed down to my son. The collector value is not a worry for me. I have 2 restored Chevrolet Impalas for collector value. I started the swap to have a 1 off Subaru not to mention all the people saying It can't be done.

Ok Subi Guys ever seen this before?????????

I have the original window sticker, sale sticker, canopy instructions/warranty, dealer notes/checklists, business cards from the dealer, 1985 nationwide dealer list of phone numbers, owners manual, and baggy that the keys came in for my 1985 Brat. She came from Subaru of Tacoma. :D

Cool build, interested in where this goes. :popcorn:

I bought a running and driving 1991 Legacy to dismantle for the running gear.

1. Motor & 5 speed trans

2. Wiring Harness

3. Crossmember: shortened to fit Brat/also gave me power steering/ Has anyone done this!!!!

4. Front A-Arms: shortened to fit Brat/ Has anyone done this!!!!!

5. Front Struts/ Custom to fit Brat

6 Rear diff

8. Rear hubs/ brakes/ welded on the trailing arms/ Has anyone done this!!!!

7. Driveline shortened to fit the Brat

Not much left on the poor Legacy!!!!!

She RUNS>>> Little issues here and there but she runs. Here is what the motor consists of..

1.2002 2.5 block with 100k

2. 1991 2.2 heads rebuilt[no delta cams didnt want them obd1]

Sounds very mean...... I am going to do the exhuast and bleed brakes then time for the street... Can we say FUN..

What muffler do you guy recommend. I dont want a fart can. I want the subie rumble!!!

THE BRAT IS ALIVE!! AND SEXY AS HELL. Little problem with air in the fuel system because no surge tank{got to get one}but she runs out great. I think it is faster than a stock WRX for sure... The suspension feels great and travels done the road awesome. The P/S is crazy!!! Works almost to good, tap the wheel and the wheels turn pretty much all the way as if were on a lift. Pic's and video's to come.........

OCD.... This project was not easy and took alot of man hours. Start to finish it was about 7 months. There was nothing to go off and every part had to be thought out and then fabed. It was not for the faint of heart. Since this one is done the next one should only take about 2 months give or take... The trip has been fun but with everything 1 step forward and 2 steps back.. LOL

We need more pics, specs, and videos

I second this.

I was also gonna say Zefy is someone you should talk to because he swapped a EJ series motor into a Gen 1 Brat. Also think he did the suspension and other such things like you did.

I would love to see some detailed pictures of what you did because I wouldn't mind doing this to my Brat. I'm more or less interested in what you did for the mounting the front/rear legacy suspension.

If you decide to make some custom brackets/kit I would be interested in purchasing these from you. I understand there would be some cutting/welding on my part, but I am truly interested in seeing how you got this all to fit properly.

-Aaron

Edited by adema2626

This is a picture of the shorted Legacy crossmember and custom trans mount. Crossmember had to be shorted about 2 inches to fit the brat along with a custom trans mount made from round tubing. Also you can see the mounting brackets for the Legacy's A-Arms. See the kick rump roast power steering in the 1978 Brat, has this been done before? I haven't found a Gen 1 with P/S yet.. LOL

7068472785_ab8fbcba0a_b.jpg

• Like 1