Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Official 6-Lug Re-drill Thread: Now in the USRM!

thats funny skylar's wagon looks just like "the loyals" wagon, almost same color too. idk about trailer wheels ive thought about it for my 85 soob but since i have discovered that toyota 6 lugs work im looking for a pair of those. plus that way i no that they are safe and off road worthy.

has anybody noticed that on the metal hub piece with the splines that fits on the axel shaft and bolts to the brake rotor, that where the 4 studs are already drilled that the metal is re-enforced, and where you would need to drill for a 6 lug that the metal is more thin? is this a precaution or am i just over thinking it?

Edited by wilcox

The main reason I am going with 16" Trailer wheels is I can get a new set of 4 shipped to my door for $250, Try finding any other wheels you can get that cheaply new and shipped. Plus they'll just look boss on the Ski wagon!

Toyota wheels are nice, I have a set of 6-lug 15" Alloys on my Landcruiser. I really like that style of wheel ('91-'92 Landcruiser) '93-'97 had a different style. I also want to say the first gen 4-runners had these wheels as well.

Post some pics once you get your done!

ya thats pretty sharp lookin, i almost like the look more than if it were lifted with off road tires. if only you could figure out how to get some bad rump roast racing suspension in it, and turbo that biatch and turn it into a sleeper! :brow:

ive allways liked the idea of making old body styles and old engines, run and perform like the new ************. expecially because anybody can "bolt on" upgrades, it takes skill to customize and make it work. thank god for this forum, because other wise subarus would not be where they are today.:headbang:

The main reason I am going with 16" Trailer wheels is I can get a new set of 4 shipped to my door for $250, Try finding any other wheels you can get that cheaply new and shipped. Plus they'll just look boss on the Ski wagon!

Toyota wheels are nice, I have a set of 6-lug 15" Alloys on my Landcruiser. I really like that style of wheel ('91-'92 Landcruiser) '93-'97 had a different style. I also want to say the first gen 4-runners had these wheels as well.

Post some pics once you get your done!

Not trying to brag or rub it in, but i got my set of 5 trailer wheels in pretty much brand new condition off of CL for 140 !! :D

I also forgot to add that i've wheeled with the trailer rims/tires and havent had any issues whatsoever .

Not trying to brag or rub it in, but i got my set of 5 trailer wheels in pretty much brand new condition off of CL for 140 !! :D

I also forgot to add that i've wheeled with the trailer rims/tires and havent had any issues whatsoever .

Lol, perhaps I'll check CL for shiz and gigz.

I just gotta beat this :horse:

What do you all think I could pull off on a 1980 Brat to make it look like this? Would a 205/45/16 fit on a Gen 1 the same way it does on this gen 2?

I still have no idea what BS to run? Are these going to really stick out far? How far maybe is a better question. I want to make it look like below but have no idea which BS to get on a gen 1.

Would a 205 even fit? The diameter is almost the same as a stock tire.

Any definitive help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

To give ya'll the idea of what I want to go with on the Ski wagon, check these photos out.

These are 16x6 "Weller style" wheels? Aussie talk perhaps? With 205/45s. I think these would look boss on the Ski wagon!

22710640108_large.jpg

22710640111_large.jpg

22710640100_large.jpg

Offset looks good as well.

22710640101_large.jpg

Say you're in a junk yard or whatever looking for a set of wheels. What's the proper way to measure backspacing?

Is it the distance from the inside of the mounting flange to the inner lip of the wheel?

You've got it. From the surface that touches the wheel hub to the inside lip of the wheel.

Thanks! I'll measure what my pugs are, and keep that number in mind when I'm junkyarding :)

A good thought to remember though, when the backspace is the same between two wheels, if the new wheel is wider, all that extra width goes on the outside IE out past the fender line.

Ah, makes sense.

So I want to retain the same back to front spacing ratio :)

There's probably a proper name for that, but it makes sense to me.

If want your tires with six lug wheels to stick out from the body the same that the ones on your pugs do, the easiest way is to find wheels that are the same width and backspace. Same width with less back space equals more stick out. Same width more backspace nets you less stickout. same backspace more width, more stick out. same backspace, less width, less stick out.

then you get to start playing with your tire widths and how they interact with wheel width.

Ya, I'm going to try to find something similar size. I need a set of rims for DD/light offroad use, and a set of rims for rally tires. Which have to be 15", because that's what I have for rally tires.

Tempted to drill the hubs and just ditch the pugs. Not only are they worth the price of about 2 sets of nice 6 lug alloys, I won't be stuck to a stupid lug pattern...

Not sure how I feel about re-drilled wheels for high speed rally abuse. Those tires are heavy, and the car gets mucho abuse on logging roads...

For an example, MY pugs are 14x6 alloys, with a 4.5" backspace.

Most 15" factory six lugs aren't going to be any narrower than 7". So to get the same look as my pugs as far as the tire/fender relationship, I would have to find a 15x7 wheel with 5.5" of backspace.

Ya, I'm going to try to find something similar size. I need a set of rims for DD/light offroad use, and a set of rims for rally tires. Which have to be 15", because that's what I have for rally tires.

Tempted to drill the hubs and just ditch the pugs. Not only are they worth the price of about 2 sets of nice 6 lug alloys, I won't be stuck to a stupid lug pattern...

Not sure how I feel about re-drilled wheels for high speed rally abuse. Those tires are heavy, and the car gets mucho abuse on logging roads...

Not sure how popular they are in your area, but the Nissan armada wheels look really nice and they are a 17" six lug alloy with a lot of backspace.

Not sure how popular they are in your area, but the Nissan armada wheels look really nice and they are a 17" six lug alloy with a lot of backspace.

Isn't that a bigass ugly SUV?

It's mostly 2nd gen and up subarus, and american trucks in my area. I live in rural east bumblefark Maine.

Thanks for the info on what size 6lugs to look for.

5.5" sounds like a lot, but I thought the pugs were less for some reason. I'll have to go measure my full size spare next time i have the trunk open.

Isn't that a bigass ugly SUV?

It's mostly 2nd gen and up subarus, and american trucks in my area. I live in rural east bumblefark Maine.

Thanks for the info on what size 6lugs to look for.

5.5" sounds like a lot, but I thought the pugs were less for some reason. I'll have to go measure my full size spare next time i have the trunk open.

5.5" backspace is what I would need to get the same stick out from 7" wide wheel as what my 6" wide wheels give me.

ok so i understand what back spacing is, but what is offset? and what do you have to look for when picking out a set of wheels to make sure that they wont interfere with brake components?

IMO Offset is another word for Backspacing. (At least thats what I go by) As long as you go bigger then 13", nothing will interfere with the brake system, Calipers, Rotors and or Drums will all clear.

Width will be the only issue, may hit the Spring perch or Strut body, Possible rubbing on Tierod end. But you can run a pretty wide tire on these.

IMO Offset is another word for Backspacing. (At least thats what I go by) As long as you go bigger then 13", nothing will interfere with the brake system, Calipers, Rotors and or Drums will all clear.

Width will be the only issue, may hit the Spring perch or Strut body, Possible rubbing on Tierod end. But you can run a pretty wide tire on these.

when you say 13", is that size of the wheel, or is that the distance from the center hole to the inner lip of the wheel?