Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Official 6-Lug Re-drill Thread: Now in the USRM!

so those white pugs on your wagon have the same as stock back spacing?

The pugs in fact stick stick out a little more then stock, they are a wider rim to begin with and then the wide mud tires.

Peugeot wheels are pretty close, even in the 15" alloy form.

The tailer wheels I'm looking at should also be pretty close to stock so I've seen.

Toyota Wheels are pretty close too, which is why people run them.

Yep. Best thing to do is see who has run whichever wheel, for a "view on car" approach.

Well, really the "best" way to do it empirically is figure out how much wheel there is from the wheel hub out and compare that to a stock Subaru wheel. The backspace will determine whether or not the wheels will rub on the suspension, but really that's about it. Wheel width minus backspace is how much wheel there is from the hub out.

Of course, and feel free to refer to me as simply Wentz. I still respond to it pretty easily from my military background :drunk:

As long as the wheel isn't literally narrower than the wheel, you should have no problem mounting it. Even a little narrower than the wheel isn't a HUGE deal, the vw guys do it all the time.

The tires will work just fine on the wheels. Its the point of the tires rubbing on the struts.

The widest I can run a '95 Outback were 225/60/16s (I had about 1/4" between the sidewall and the strut body)

Keep that in mind.

This Brat has 16x6 6x139 wheels, with 205/45/16 tires. Pretty wide... This is the setup I am going to run.

22710640108_large.jpg

22710640111_large.jpg

22710640100_large.jpg

22710640101_large.jpg

Edited by TheLoyale

Yes most definitely, another thing to remember is that the shorter the sidewall ratio is on a tire, the easier it will stay it's true width, leaning towards actually being a touch wider from having a more square shoulder profile.

Example:

In the same exact tire, a 205/75-15 although reading as the same tread width size on the sidewall, won't be quite as wide as a 205/55-15.

Tracking?

Very true.

When the Profile number goes up (55, 60, 65, 75 ect..) so does the width.

Example:

In the same exact tire, a 205/75-15 although reading as the same tread width size on the sidewall, won't be quite as wide as a 205/55-15.

Tracking?

My understanding is, if you have a tire with a higher profile number (75) the sidewall will bulge out more (Making it wider) if you run a (70) the sidewall has less bulge and is more square (As you said) making it a fraction narrower.

I notice tires with higher profile numbers have more sidewall bulge, and less tread width, then a lower profile numbered tire, where the sidewall and tread width are pretty much the same.

My understanding is, if you have a tire with a higher profile number (75) the sidewall will bulge out more (Making it wider) if you run a (70) the sidewall has less bulge and is more square (As you said) making it a fraction narrower.

I notice tires with higher profile numbers have more sidewall bulge, and less tread width, then a lower profile numbered tire, where the sidewall and tread width are pretty much the same.

That's what I was trying to say, even though apparently it didn't come out right. I was stating this for the purposes of contact patch, which is what we all REALLY care about right?

That said, a revised version of my statement would be:

The lower the numerical number of the sidewall aspect ratio, the wider the contact patch will be with the same numerical tread width.

Indeed it was intended to be.

But in all seriousness, here are a few Subarus running 6 lug hubs.

As I said before, Toyota uses a pretty close to stock backspacing. These are 15x7" alloys found on 4-Runner/Hilux/FJ80

30m8srb.jpg

hw0tiv.jpg

This one has 15" Nissan wheels.

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00920.jpg

And this one, I have no info on the wheels, nor tires, other then the rubber is 32"

IMG_0484.jpg

close, your on the right track. for example an 175R/75/15. the tire is 175mm wide, the side wall is 75% of that, and it is radial tire on a 15" wheel.