Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy Outback - overheated - missing bolt on radiator, can anyone identify?

Maybe this bolt isn't related to my problems at all...but several men who looked at my car and seemed to, at least pretend, to know something about cars noticed this and suggested that I check into it.. And I don't have the money for much more than a bolt at this time, I just got my car back from a $2000 transmission repair and don't have any cash to put it back in the shop. I'm hoping that, though unlikely, this could be the reason for the most recent break down..

Here goes:

My car overheated....like, really bad while driving home from a nearby city. It was my first real drive since getting it back from the shop. When I looked under the hood there was water all over - of course - but it looked as though the water was coming from a small hole which appears as though it previously had a bolt in it - but the bolt is no longer there. I'm including links to the pictures (the first has a red arrow pointing to the hole). Can anyone tell me whether this requires some sort of special bolt/other? Or do I just need to find one that fits and screw it in? I've been told that since it opens directly into the radiator, a regular bolt to "plug" the hole may not be correct.

--- Err, is it possible that someone may be able to tell me whether this is unrelated and a waste of my time? Any ideas, advice, criticism is very appreciated. I know that I don't know much about cars, I can take the insults. I will be appreciative to even get a response. Thanks.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gGTXQNva-cIL_HSsulL_9hzTZpusQfwHdivv0w8apBQ?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/XEmVASWcY0VOFM8aBT6N6xzTZpusQfwHdivv0w8apBQ?feat=directlink

It would appear that the shop who did your transmission repair left out the air vent plug in the top of the radiator. What is supposed to go there is a plastic plug with phillips slots in it. You remove that plug when filling the radiator with coolant to bleed the air from the system.

They may have removed the radiator to get at the transmission cooler line near the bottom and in doing so drained out the coolant then left this plug out or loose. Check your bill to see if you were charged for coolant.... I would be talking to them about fixing this.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Mine broke when I tried to unscrew it (may have happened to them).

This is the part I ordered for my '98 Outback...

Radiator Air Plug__________ 45124AC000______1__ $6.20______$6.20______

Not sure if its the same part for you - your pictures look a little different to my '98.

Steve