Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The garage queen gets a new heart ::ea81 build::

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5speed03.jpg

In this last pic I see where the shifter rod enters the top of the case. I have an EA71 4-speed that leaks right here. Can you show me or explain what needs to be done to fix this leak? Are there seals on that rod and can you get to them from here?

im really curious to know how the hell you put the pistons, and pins on the connecting rods if your already installed the crank? :confused:

im assuming its not like a convetional v-8 where you drop the rod/piston assybly through the cylnders.

You pull out the pins, install the rings on the pistons (after checking the end gaps) and using a ring compressor install the piston with the connecting rod at the bottom of it's travel. Carefully line up the eye in the small end of the rod with the pin hole in the piston and insert the pin through the access hole.

Note don't forget to install the inside pin clip before you put the piston in or you can't get to it. Put the outer clip in through the access hole.

Repeat 3 more times and your done.

In this last pic I see where the shifter rod enters the top of the case. I have an EA71 4-speed that leaks right here. Can you show me or explain what needs to be done to fix this leak? Are there seals on that rod and can you get to them from here?

There is a traditional pressed in seal there on this 5-speed.

The 4-speed is the same :)

wow! i went back and looked at the pics and there are definitely 4 holes to install those wrist pins. so then are there plugs that fill those holes? i noticed that one of the holes is cover by the oil pump

Yes, two plugs for the front of the motor.

The rears do not have plugs, and remain open to the backside of the flywheel housing.

You couldnt get me to touch a EA82 with a 10-foot pole :popcorn:

I got SOME of my piston rings in today.... I think my hopes of reusing the old pistons is proving a bad idea....

Rockauto shipped me TWO sets... and backordered "indefinately" the other two....

:Flame::Flame:

Priced out at a bit more than $50 shipped, Im temped to just return them and pick up an EBAY ITM set of EA82 SPFI pistons. I could do them for less than $150 shipped for 4. New pistons, rings, and pins.

Comments??