Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$200 winter car has turned into an obsession.

tractor pole

this weekend had a little progress.

after fighting with the air conditioning compressor this whole time I finally just gave up and took all the A/C components out of the engine compartment, I now have so much more room to work with.

fit the UEL header to the engine it fits perfectly, I have not fit the factory skid plate yet but it looks promising.

no pics yet, I'll work on that this week.

maybe a video of first start... maybe.

Getting excited to drive it again.

IT'S ALIVE!!!

after about two hours of beating my head against the wall I decided to do a compression check. 30psi all cylinders...:banghead: pulled off the timing covers and I was a couple teeth off on both cams:o, pulled the belt off and re-timed it. rechecked the compression praying that I did not have any bent valves, 168-174 across the board.:banana:

the good news is that I got the wiring correct on the first try!:brow:

Proof!!

(this is the first try after the re-time)

got out the welder today and made up a mid pipe to attach to the header that I got from sube101...

warning my welding skills pale in comparison to the header...

DSC_0409.jpg

made a tab to use the factory mount off of the transmission

DSC_0410.jpg

welded in a bung for the rear o2 sensor

DSC_0411.jpg

DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

view of the front o2 sensor port from the top

DSC_0405.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

• Like 1

more progress this weekend, I was able to get the harness permanently installed, factory grommet from the legacy into passenger side of engine compartment, radiator, hoses, coolant, power steering lines attached and mid pipe installed after a coat of high temp paint.

Still haven't driven it but I am taking it to the exhaust shop Tuesday, picked up the trailer today.

maybe driving it to Thanksgiving dinner...:brow:

raining too much to get the camera out the last couple days

Looking awesome!!! Im pretty stoked to see it this weekend.

Wish Ned was coming up, but alas, Ned needs work before he tows an XT6.

Keep the pics coming :D and a few videos would be awesome, there arent many videos of EJ swapped EAs on youtube which makes for boring searches.

thanks I am getting stuff boxed and sorted out for you.

Your car and swap looks great! I just picked up a Red 88 similar to yours.

Sorry, no vids yet - here is a shot from a test drive in my '83 GL Wagon right after the EJ22E and custom built RX 3.9 trans went in:burnout:

[ATTACH]10354[/ATTACH]

nice, I have not taken it that fast yet... :burnout: from the short distance I have driven it, it seems to have alot more power.

I just moved mine to winter storage couple weekends ago. My dad was following me in his 1993 Mazda 323 hatch. The soob still has no exhaust after the cat, so I was taking it easy on the go pedal. In fact, I had to keep slowing down going up a hill so I wasn't making too much noise. We go to the storage location, and dad was a bit behind me. When I shut the car off, he had a funny smile on his face.

dad: "Does it feel more powerful?"

me: "I think so, I was just barely touching the throttle to go up that hill"

dad: "Thought so - I couldn't keep up with you" ...

:brow:

Great lookin ride! I really like your headlight conversion idea, have you gotten anywhere with that?

Thank you, the headlight swap is on hold for a couple weeks but is bolt in amd pretty straight forward. Just need the time to build my harness for the headlights.

I will put up some pics when i finally get to it.

Question, you don't happen to have a parts list from your transmission swap do you, I'm doing one myself and wanted to double check myself. Also, What happened to your EA82? If you were getting rid of it I would be interested.

I have a thread I started for the list. http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123516

my EA82 is spoken for. pending pickup.

Ben

It's all coming together for you very well tractor pole!

Great feeling isn't it? Especially the engine wiring - getting that right first go is pretty important in my book, and when it all fires up as it should it's even sweeter!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bennie

It's all coming together for you very well tractor pole!

Great feeling isn't it? Especially the engine wiring - getting that right first go is pretty important in my book, and when it all fires up as it should it's even sweeter!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers

Bennie

Thanks Bennie!

It is a great feeling! I went over the wiring in my head probably 1000 times before I even touched the harness. Just got lucky I guess.

Ben

still have been really busy, but I drove it to work today and it survived the 85 mile round trip!

a couple of things are still minor issues.

-Fuel tank pressure sensor and fuel tank temp faults are present. I am going to build a "fooler" circuit that supplies the expected voltage to the ECU when the car is running, so no more check engine light.

-finishing installing the under hood fuse box/relay pack from the donor car

-mounting the ECU in it's final resting place

-and for later: getting the A/C reinstalled and working again.

I promise to update with pics soon.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So after a long winter, the weather was great today and I decided to take the day off of work and get some stuff done on the car.

runs great, cooling fan problem fixed, dealt with a leaky power steering reservoir the only thing I did not have time for was to wash it...

I really forgot how fun this was to drive now.

Pics to come... really this time.