Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$200 winter car has turned into an obsession.

tractor pole

Piling up parts is good. I think that's what I'm going to have to do. I want to drop money on everything at once but even with full-time work I don't see that happening.

I feel your pain. I've spent the last month planning to do a variety of car-related things on my day off...it will be sixty and sunny all week. Have a day off (varies by the week due to schedules and such) and without fail, it snows and/or rains. When it was 45 and sunny yesterday I got started...and it started clouding and snowing. Three inches on the ground now. But, I got the worst problem fixed, and had an adventure at the parts store to boot! At least it runs smoothly now.

The last year or so has looked really awesome in this thread, hope this summer is good, too :D. Can't wait to see the pics!

• 4 weeks later...

this weekend yielded a small amount of work on the wagon.

I finally figured out my starting issue, I think it was a defective starter solenoid coil  and I also found a melted terminal on the ignition switch connector, it seems to be just fine with a new(different) starter and wiring around the melted plug.

installed my caster rods with new whiteline bushings

I also had a strange idle surge that I could not pinpoint, while investigating my starting issue I realized that when I installed the EJ harness I inadvertently connected the ECU start signal wire to constant 12V+ which might also explain my poor fuel economy :unsure: now it idles smooth and quiet like it should. we shall se how the fuel economy fairs after I put some miles on it.

Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow before work to get some things done weather permitting of course.

Paid 200 for mine... but it wasn't anywere as nice as yurs os... great score... bought mine just befor winter as a winter beater and now hate my 94 camaro z28...congrats on the car

yup thats how it started for me... I need to get out and drive it!

It doesn't seem like it has been this long dealing with this swap... oh well

• 1 month later...

well, I have to say that the EJ swap is THE best upgrade I have done to the wagon yet.

plenty of power, I can pass on the highway!! :banana: sounds awesome

I have some new upgrades on the way,

OBW 2 piston caliper front brakes

EJ rear disk brake with rear parking brake

not new but still not installed:

XT6 front and rear swaybar

Re-install the A/C (need to get a couple hoses modified and wire up compressor)

second electric fan for supplemental cooling and a/c

• 5 months later...

Haha NICE… The FJ80 is def a sweet ride, I sold mine, I don't regret it… After 6 mo of fill-ups and 8-10mpg you'll understand too…. I wanted a diesel swap, lockers, bumpers etc. I figure it'd be easier to buy someone else's hard work someday when my proverbial ship comes in…..

Have fun w/the cruiser tho!! What're your plans for it?? 

the plan for the cruiser is to get it road worthy again (it was in a rear end accident with a small amount of damage to the front end) probably some OME 2.5" or stock replacement springs Med rear and heavy front. get rid of the awful wheels that came on it (LesSchwab specials) and replace them wit FJ Cruiser wheels,  clean up the interior, stereo, tint windows, roof basket, lights, front bumper, rear bumper, etc.

I was aware of the fuel mileage, not going to be a daily driver just a camping/snow vehicle that is more capable than the wagon is.

have anything left over from yours?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let me tell ya 1st, I love that body style. That just reminds me of classic rally racing, pikes peak, all that goodness. It looks great now but if I had? I'd probably strip it down even more. Old school white mags for rims, maybe some extra lighting up front--and let it rip. Like I said though, I do think it looks great as is--this is just an awesome project all around and one that the average guy could probably afford. Good stuff man, good luck with it--keep posting!