Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 95 subaru with 202K mj. When coming to a stop, I get a clunk from the back at about 10 mpg. It happens almost all the time whether braking from 50 or 20 mph. It sounds like a wrench sliding against a part of the metal frame, but of course it's not.

I'm thinking something about the rear differential or the knuckle joint. I just thought that this is so distinctive that someone would recognize it.

Well I think that I mostly solved the problem. The rear differential was only 1/2 full. I added 12 oz to bring it up to the overflow [i couldn't get the drain plug out so that's the best that I could do].

I think that the rear differential was free wheeling and as I braked, it caused a thud when the knuckle reversed as the drive shaft stopped. The knuckle is a little loose and rotates about 3/8" as measured on the perifery when moved back and forth by hand. With the addition gear oil in the differential, it is damped and doesn't free wheel.

The rear differential free wheels most of the time anyway since the majority of driving load is placed on the front axles and differential.

Play at the knuckle is likely a bad wheel bearing. If it has noticeable play the bearing is about to fail entirely and you will be left with a crooked wheel at the least. You need to investigate further and find the exact source of the play.