Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Scion, no Subaru, no Scion, no Subaru

I thought it was funny how it said "Toyota boxer" on the intake cover. But what really pisses me off, is they (both SOA and TRD) make a cool looking car and then stick the "dinky" motor in it. They could have at least put in the Turbo motor. But I am sure they are testing the consumer market, and then will offer a GT or something like that with the 2.5T motor and other go fast goodies in it.

Edited by Mugs

I thought it was funny how it said "Toyota boxer" on the intake cover. But what really pisses me off, is they (both SOA and TRD) make a cool looking car and then stick the "dinky" motor in it. They could have at least put in the Turbo motor. But I am sure they are testing the consumer market, and then will offer a GT or something like that with the 2.5T motor and other go fast goodies in it.

As gas prices continue to raise, for most people, it's going to be all about MPG and less about HP. It's not how fast you can go around the commuting track, it's how many gas station "pit stops" your daily driver has to make.

But what really pisses me off, is they (both SOA and TRD) make a cool looking car and then stick the "dinky" motor in it. They could have at least put in the Turbo motor

I don't see any problem with the 2.0 engine. The car is being targeted at the same people who would buy a Miata (~170 HP) or something like that (think British sports car... something light and fun to drive). They would be placing themselves against a hard competition if they tried to compete against a Z370, a Genesis Coupe or the likes. In fact it looks like other makers are going to start producing cars to fill the same niche as the GT86, so the market is going to get really fun in the not-so-distant future.

Besides, Toyota has a cars to fill the niches above the GT86. They would be reluctant to compete against themselves

Having had the extreme pleasure of a test drive (in rainy weather!), I cannot understand why anyone would want more power?

A turbo engine, with the inevitable lag, will NOT suit the car. The whole package is sharp and connected, and messing with the linear throttle response by sticking a turbine in the exhaust will detract from the driving experience.

:rolleyes: hay guys aside from rear wheel drive being a "petrosexual" must! it leaves room for one other handy thing that recently came out, front wheel electric kits. just imagine having a hybrid system on the front of the car with regenerative breaking and a light weight capacitor to store extra electricity. just remember you can't get a million break horse out of any conventional car fuel but you can out of a really beefy electric motor and with less lag oh I'm sorry NO lag. talk about new age AWD! just need to design a control system that integrated both seamlessly I give it 5 years.......