Ultimate Subaru Message Board

89 loyal all wheeldrive turbo wagen

• 6 months later...

ok I have been gon from hear far to long.so an up date on thes car,i have got it running and have pot some miles on it,and I am imprest so far.but the water pump has started to drip so that will have to be fixed. I do wont to lift it but with out a hi lo trans not shure how mutch power i would loose with bigger tires.

• 2 weeks later...
You will have to go by Model number sticker on the transmission to determine the diffs ratio.

Marshall, only Automatic Legacys had 4.11 gears. All Manual Legacys have 3.9 gears. 1996-'99 Outback Autos have 4.44, Manual Outbacks have 4.11

You are incorrect.

90-94 Legacies, MT = 4.11 final drive.

90,91 Legacies, AT = 4.11 final drive

92-94 Leagcies, AT = 3.9 final drive.

from 95 on, your info is correct.

To the OP in this thread. The car would have been 3.7 originally, so if it's 4.11 now, the diff has already been swapped.

• 2 months later...

You can also switch to 4.44 gears in the transmission and rear diff if you find the bigger tires are bogging it down. The front ring and pinion are about $350 from subaru, plus the work to take the trans apart. Rear diffs are really easy to find out of later auto trans cars.

I built some 2" spacers and put them on the top of the struts,looks perty good but now I have bigger tires I am going to nake a bigger lift, I have some 2x3x1/4 wall tube that I will be putting on to rase it up more, hope it is enuf.I will try to take pitchures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have ben driving this car for one week it was running real good,coming home one day it started it stumble, mis,act like it was running out of gas, running on 3 cylinders,when it is cold it runs fine, ofter a cuple minets it starts all ofer agine, eany thauts I am at a loss, it is a ej swap could it be not getting enuf fuel preshure?

got the check eng, lite working, it is givinga throtal pos sens code,3 long 1 short flash, so I checked it acording to the book I have and it all checked out fine, but I tsill get the code and it still runs like grap. eany ideas.

• 7 months later...