Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swing out spare tire carrier

Uberoo

I just got back from pull and save where I made a spare super duper stretchy axle (legacy inner DOJ's and EA81 axle shafts).Just as I was about to leave I happened to see a isuzu rodeo with a swing out spare tire holder.So I grabbed that to put on my hatchback.It seems like its not going to go on nicely,it looks like it will be a chop, cut, reweld type of deal. So i was wondering if anybody had some pictures of a hatch with a swing out carrier for inspiration?

The only way to make one of those options work is to make a bumper mount swing out.Baccaruda wanted one.We got mounts from a Pathfinder I believe.

In the end the easiest way to do it is to fabricate it with a swing mount kit.

He and I could not agree on design.seeing as how he saw it one way in his head with an engineers lookout,and I saw it from a bare bones fabrication workability point of view.It is not a good idea to try and mount that setup to your body.Even if you add sheetmetal to the inside as a backing plate it will add stresses at the edges of the backing plate.In turn ripping the existing sheet metal .

Make a simple flat bumper, and buy the kit.Or do your homework and make a kit from everday items.

It is possible to use SOME of the mounts from either the Rodeo,Pathfinder , or even Blazers.************, almost every 80's van had a mount too......those were hard mount i guess though....but whatever, parts is parts.....

cheers

I messed around in paint and I came up with kinda a hybrid design.Tire mounted in the center with its bottom about the same height as the lower edge of the stock bumper.top bar going horizonal across the car with its centerline lined up with the lower edge of the hatch,then have a lower bar angling from the tire down to a mount with the bearing center lined up with the upper bar bearing mounted to a steel bumper.so both mounts would be slightly outside the body to clear the hatch.In my minds eye it would seem that the lower bar would do most of the work holding the tire up,while the top bar would almost act as a zero-force member.I wonder if that design might work better and hopefully not tear the body sheetmetal.there would be a fair bit of vertical distance separating the mounts so it should resist twisting(sagging) reasonably well.The rodeo I got it from had both mounts mounting to the body and it had a couple of plates welded to the back side of the skin to anchor into.Then it latched in place in the center of the tailgate resonably tightly.All said and done the mount was held to rodeo body by 10 bolts(3 in each mount and 4 holding the latching mechanism.)

Edited by Uberoo

Yes...Let's see the pix. I have one I picked from the junkyard a couple of years ago but haven't got around to modding it yet. Unfortunately for me I don't think it will work since I already have a jerry can holder on that side.

Another one that maybe a possible fit is from a Kia Sportage. Very small and the mounts look like they will work for either a wagon or a hatch. I saw one at PnP the other day and would have taken it if the car hadn't been rear ended and the tire carrier bent.

I've been wanting to mount my spare on the back for a years now. Guess this thread lit a fire under my but.

DSCF0001.jpgDSCF0003.jpgDSCF0006.jpgDSCF0005.jpg

My mount swings down, rather than out.....which makes it a useful table and step to get to the roof. Down side is I it's a bit heavy, and lifting it back to the latched position is hard for my Girlfriend and the kids.

my favorite part is that it's all built from an EA82 rear control arm, and a busted up CV cup. The whole assembly removes by popping out the roll pin on the CV stub.

oh....and my good camera is AWOL, so the pics are from my old camera which does some, uhhh....interesting......effects to the photos. I'll post up better ones with the new camera later.

what does the little pin do?

This one?

P1010025.jpg

It's to hold the tire in the upright position. Pull the pin, the mount swings down.

I'm testing a 2.0 version right now for the "Street" wagon. Similar, but will swing out, not down.

I need to make a new version of that tab it locks into though.

I want to make one with a ramp on it so I can just push the tire up to close it.

Right now gotta pull the pin out to close it.

Also gonna put some brass bushings in there for the pin to slide on rather than threads of that nut. This is definately a prototype I built in about 4 hours.

Here is the 2.0 version (using the other side old wagon trailing arm:D)

this one swings out. haven't trimmed the bumper skin to fit back on, and I still need to figure out the liscense plate. But you guy's get the idea.

P10100342.jpgP1010038.jpgP10100352.jpgP10100362.jpgP1010037-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...