Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 Subaru leone sedan project

got a 91 subaru leone 4wd 1600 sedan which i found damaged under a tree waiting to grow rust and die.

this was the day before it came home

img0029a.jpg

img0034ag.jpg

img0028aa.jpg

Couldnt get to drive it because a part of the wire loom was cutted out and i wasnt getting anything from the key, bridged the starter and after a few tries it started but had a badly blown head gasket :horse: im not working and i had another project (1989 lada 2105) which i said was the drifting project, had to sell it just to buy the gaskets :(

so, took out the engine

img0003ahx.jpg

skimmed the heads

img0001au.jpg

then re assembled, and it started okay...... until the next morning when i went to start and move it, didnt start plus i heard a knocking sound when its turning over :banghead::(

pulled out the engine again, searched for any probs but everything was ok to me so i fitted bk up, still wasnt starting so i brought it bk frm the garage to home. :(

Welcome!

If that is a 1600, it will be an EA71 Engine, but Looking at this Photo:

img0028aa.jpg

it Looks like the EA82 Engine which is 1800 and have Timing Belts.

If so, the Knock Sound could be from bad Timing.

Please confirm the type of Engine you have, or Upload more pics of it in order to Help you.

Kind Regards.

thanks alot, its the ea71 1600 and i didnt split the block so the timing should be ok. the knocking noise is gone now, but still not starting, getting backfiring from the carb now when i pour a little gas in it, so its something with the distributer now, i dnt think i have the wires in the right place or maybe i didnt set back the distribuer timing correctly.

more recent pics

img0072ai.jpg

photo0008a.jpg

photo0009kg.jpg

543250_321492134579678_100001566815966_903399_1355887435_n.jpg

293803_321492184579673_100001566815966_903401_107874865_n.jpg

532832_321492214579670_100001566815966_903402_1351577523_n.jpg

Welcome!

If that is a 1600, it will be an EA71 Engine, but Looking at this Photo:

img0028aa.jpg

it Looks like the EA82 Engine which is 1800 and have Timing Belts.

If so, the Knock Sound could be from bad Timing.

Please confirm the type of Engine you have, or Upload more pics of it in order to Help you.

Kind Regards.

Can't be an EA82, check out the head studs and no hydraulic lifters in his earlier pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
... i had another project (1989 lada 2105) which i said was the drifting project...

I Was about to buy a Lada 2105 (Luxury Edition) in year 1995, it had the Common Lada Fail: The Timing Chain Tensioner Broke on a Highway, so it had Timing Damage...

But the Owner asked too much money then and I Forgot about that; and During the Hurricane Mitch, in 1998, the Lada dealer was Erased (Literally) From the Face of Earth...

I Don't Know how some Ladas went to Oregon, USA:

http://www.oldparkedcars.com/2012/04/1988-lada-riva-2107-1500s-sedan.html

Back on Topic: Did your Subie's EA71 Engine Started?

Kind Regards.

Not all the Gen III Leones (a.k.a: GL's / DL's \ Loyale's ... etc) came Factory with the EA82 Engine.

USA Got Almost all of them with the EA82 Engine but few went to the USA with Factory EA81

(the First ones, like the 1984 US Ski Team Subaru, which had already the Loyale Shaped Body, as you can see, ~►

: )

Latin American / Caribbean \ Asian Markets got that Subaru Body model with these engines:

- EA82T and the EA82 engines (1.8L) were Luxury Options only, then the...

- EA81 (1.8L) was the "Standard" engine on the GL's but the DL's came Standard with the...

- EA71 (1.6L) engine (Fat Case, some were EFi, there is another caribbean USMB Member with one of those), and also you was able to obtain then the DL Sedans with the...

- EA65 (1.3L) Engine outside USA...

I've seen many loyales and coupes like that in Latin America / Caribbean; but also searchin' in the internet, I've seen Photos of those in israel and other asian countries, also in Australia.

If you Look at his Subaru's Photos, you'll Notice the Manual Crank Windows, which means it is a DL; those usually has a Sticker in the Back that reads: "1.6L Automatic".

Here is a Picture I've take with my Cellphone while Driving behind one of Those at Comayagüela Citie's Downtown; I was in a Traffic Jam:

16Automatic2.jpg

16Automatic1.jpg

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
To Add the Pictures.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

started the car and took it out :cool: this is for those who thought the lil 1600 couldnt pull, what y'all didnt know is that this is the jdm 1600 :) not the american version or the others that are lhd. this one is rated at 80hp, abt the same power as the 1800cc ea81 tht you peeps have. anyways heres the vid

american version or the others that are lhd. this one is rated at 80hp, abt the same power as the 1800cc ea81 tht you peeps have. anyways heres the vid

Mine is rated @75bhp it's a european version so once again it seems the european version is different from other market area engines :) There's no mention of 75bhp EA71 engine to be found on the internet thingy. Funny thing these power ratings now that I had a small look around my EA82 carbed engine was rated @90bhp once again more than US market and my current EA82T engine is rated @134bhp. So we get more power than US models and less than JDM in europe it seems.

oh thats great. took this frm wiki. mine isnt the twin carb so unfortunately i dont have 95ps/ 93hp. and as u see the us version only has 67hp :D

Horsepower:

67 bhp (50 kW; 68 PS) at 5,200 rpm (US)

82 PS (60 kW) at 5,600 rpm (JDM, emissions cleaned)

95 PS (70 kW) at 6,400 rpm (JDM twin-carb, emissions cleaned)

87 PS (64 kW) at 5,600 rpm (JDM, no emissions equipment)

oh thats great. took this frm wiki. mine isnt the twin carb so unfortunately i dont have 95ps/ 93hp. and as u see the us version only has 67hp :D

Horsepower:

That's the same place I did check earlier. No mention from the 75bhp (or 76PS) engine :) Well I'm not going to keep the EA71 for long so someone would get a good update over the US version :) I haven't figuret out any use to my engine after I swap it to the EA82T yet.

oh kool! im going to keep this engine for a while too, and i dont have any access to ea82t or ea81t out here because there are abt less than 10 of these subaru's left here in the country still driving. all non-turbo plan to get a td04 turbo and a single injector and run some boost tho :D when i say boost i mean nothing lower than 15psi. and then get a gearbox and run it as rwd and have some fun with it

Nice Video, I like how it Sounds under Hard acceleration. icon14.gif

Horsepower:

Beside the 75 (or 76) Hp Version of the 1.6L EA71 Engine, that site also doesn't list the Efi EA71 available from up to 1994 in the Loyale Lineup, outside USA in certain areas.

... I also have an EFI manifold of unknown origin that is the same length. I don't know what it came on (I'm guessing an EA81) but I know it wasn't original to the EA71, yet it would work. ...

There were some oddities in engines made for other markets - there very well could have been an SPFI EA71 somewhere in the world. They made EJ series engines with distributors in some places, and they did make EA82 body cars with EA71 engines in some parts of the world, although I thought they were carbed - I think there was a guy from Barbados with a loyale such as this on the board for a while.

Hard to say, but If you have it then you have it - no way around the fact that it was made, and fits. Only possible conclusion is there existed at some time, in some place, a fuel injected EA71...

Kind Regards.

thanks for the info mr 2.7 turbo :cool: i see your location is honduras, do they still have ladas over there racing and modifying? :popcorn: that was my first car, a 1.5 2105 sedan :clap:

You're Welcome! :)

Yes I live in Honduras, the local Lada Dealer (was named: Alvarez-Cross Automotríz) was very successfully selling the 2104, 2105, 2106 and 2107 Fiat-Based models, and the Samara; but the Best Seller was the Niva 4X4... untill the Hurricane Mitch (during year 1998) literally "Erased" the Lada Dealer offices and Storage area, and lot of new, unused Ladas were "swallowed" by the River (The Lada Dealer was Next to a River) so all the Lada Survivors, had to be Modified, usually with Toyota Parts.

A friend of mine used to own a 2104 with Toyota engine & transmission, it was called "LaToya" a Mix from Lada & Toyota.

Kind Regards.

You're Welcome! :)

Yes I live in Honduras, the local Lada Dealer (was named: Alvarez-Cross Automotríz) was very successfully selling the 2104, 2105, 2106 and 2107 Fiat-Based models, and the Samara; but the Best Seller was the Niva 4X4... untill the Hurricane Mitch (during year 1998) literally "Erased" the Lada Dealer offices and Storage area, and lot of new, unused Ladas were "swallowed" by the River (The Lada Dealer was Next to a River) so all the Lada Survivors, had to be Modified, usually with Toyota Parts.

A friend of mine used to own a 2104 with Toyota engine & transmission, it was called "LaToya" a Mix from Lada & Toyota.

Kind Regards.

:lol: ahh kool, a few are still on the road out here, 2 i know with 4age tubocharged toyota engine and heard alot of rumours of one around with a ford mustang engine :eek: . i was planning to do a nissan sr20 swap but lost interest in the project n sold it.

*project update*

planning to get a donor car this weekend :banana: didnt know i could actually find another leone on the island but im lucky. i only know that its a 4wd sedan and its manual trans. hope all goes well