Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is between the bumper beam and front bumper cover?

my car was in an accident (i wasn't in the car) and I have nothing to attach my front bumper cover too (which is still somehow intact though it got ripped off).

the bumper beam and all is there and unscathed and i have the front bumper cover. but the holes on the top of the bumper cover have nothing to line up with in the bumper beam - so i'm assuming there's a part missing there for the bumper cover to attach to.

i've even repaired a few wrecked legacy's and just can't picture what is supposed to be there.

anyone got a pic?

great thanks, will compare later. i don't see anything obvious there...weird.

my car has that bumper beam and cover....but the cover has holes which line up with nothing....scratching my head, i'm obviously missing something, need to find out if it's physically or all mentally!

i'll try to snap a picture later.

thanks - right on i see what's happening now.

the bumper does have a beam going across it just for the bumper cover, and mine is missing that. in the picture above it's Item #3 is pointing directly to the small bar I need.

is that welded or bolted on?

Subaru's website skips this part so I can't find a part number: Item #7 here is in the picture but not the parts and numbers below it:

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b11/type_9/body_equipment_exterior/front_bumper/illustration_1/

oh wow, yeah i remember that part now. it's completely gone, guess my friends that borrowed the car just left it there. hmmmm....

that looks more complicated than i care to recreate - i'll probably just try and buy one.

thanks for the pictures, those are *perfect* for this question!!

I noticed there were some differences between bumper covers on my 95 and 96. The 95 that upper beam was a bit different, and there were fewer holes in the cover. Not sure if the holes all line up between covers but it should be kept in mind when you go get another bumper beam. Make sure you get one with the right number of holes.

I noticed there were some differences between bumper covers on my 95 and 96. The 95 that upper beam was a bit different, and there were fewer holes in the cover. Not sure if the holes all line up between covers but it should be kept in mind when you go get another bumper beam. Make sure you get one with the right number of holes.
great, thanks. parts database doesn't interchange 95's and 96's, must be why, good call. i would have assumed them the same.

I hope to get to it soon. It has a good running 2.5 in it without HG issues but some rod knock. I was hoping to keep it and reuse the engine. Currently if anyone wants an engine they can hear it run. SOmeone already did the HG's and I drove it 45 miles home without issue.

Now I don't know when I'll be able to do engine swaps again.

Someone wants both bumper covers, a mirror. I've already sold hood, I htink grille.

Still has like new headlights and someone want sone of the fog's.

I've sold cup holder, radio, etc.

Stole the rad for another car.

I realistically expect it to be around another couple weeks atleast. It's at a friends house 5 miles away.