Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wentz's Five Lug Swap/Build Thread.

wentz912

Well, was tooling along to go pay rent today when the drivers side t-belt idler gear decided to leave the vehicle!:Flame: Awesome, got a hold of a buddy to cannibalize one of his spare motors for said idler gear until I can scrounge up some new ones.

Well, new struts are on. Heard the right rear brakes making terrible noises the other day so picked up some new goodies!

259726_10151169014617209_588243147_o.jpg

That's right, found BREMBO rear XT6 rotors. They're not really all that fancy, but it's cool knowing I'm stopping with Brembo now. Also got the five spokes put on and the 17s listed in the classifieds if anybody reading this is interested. Next up is to find some new rear calipers then it's onto the front to upgrade that end. Also need to figure out whats going on with the front, wheels wiggle like I've got wheel bearings that are going bad, but they don't make any noise and spin fine when I break them down to the hub. Can't get the axle nut any tighter either.

Maybe the XT6 outer stubs are too long for the EJ knuckles and I can't get the proper bearing preload?

• 4 weeks later...

I did the swap for more than just to get to a more common wheel size. This is my street bomber, in the process of being built to be quick. If it doesn't sell by New Year's I'll hold onto it, gather parts for a Frankenmotor swap and tear up some pavement with AWD!

Realistically I see this as being the only real benefit to going five lug over the redrill. If we could get the off-road guys to leave the five lug parts alone, and just redrill their stuff, everybody'd probably be happier!

• 1 month later...