Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 wagon resto/build

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make sure to add some extra varnish/clear coat to your shovel handle, especially where you drilled the holes or it will rot out on you in a hurry.

yeah i thought about that im gonna tape it off and spray it with laquer to make it more water proof.

does EMPI not make rear cv axles? rockauto doesnt list them

Nobody makes rear CV axles, that is why it is best to reboot the ones you have before damaging matter get into the joint and wear out.

The dealer might be able to get you some remans, but they are gonna cost!

Nobody makes rear CV axles, that is why it is best to reboot the ones you have before damaging matter get into the joint and wear out.

The dealer might be able to get you some remans, but they are gonna cost!

well the boots arent torn there old and starting to crack though so nothing got into them there just clicking at slow speeds like in parking lots so should i just re-grease re-boot and hope for the best?

I've never really heard rear axles click since they have DOJs on both ends vs a DOJ and CVJ. I bet the clicking is the front.

If the rears are indeed clicking at low speeds in the parking lots, I would service them with new boots and grease (Kendall Super-Blu) since rear axles don't usually have a lot of stress on them and don't need to pivot and turn at the same time, they will last.

I've never really heard rear axles click since they have DOJs on both ends vs a DOJ and CVJ. I bet the clicking is the front.

If the rears are indeed clicking at low speeds in the parking lots, I would service them with new boots and grease (Kendall Super-Blu) since rear axles don't usually have a lot of stress on them and don't need to pivot and turn at the same time, they will last.

no its deffinatly the right rear cv i have had other people drive it while i walk behind and listen according to the PO it had just got both front cvs replaced but im pretty sure there remans but they dont click when i turn so i wouldnt expect them to click in a straight line so im pretty sure what im hearing is the rear

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

well its been a little while but i fixed my clicking rear cv axle and now i have just been drivin around. but today i got some parts from rockauto:cool: it was my first time using rockauto and it felt like christmas!

002-1.jpg

new ngk wire set

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

and some new ngk plugs

007-2.jpg

Hey, did it end up really being a rear DOJ that was clicking?

I was in the same boat (only didn't have anyone outside the car to tell

me for sure or not) on hearing clicking from the rear, but it turned out to be

a badly worn rear drive shaft u-joint. Did you check those yet?