Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spare Tire Area Uses.

So I was checking the oil while filling my wagon today, and a thought occurred to me....

WTF does everybody do with the spare tire area after converting to a larger wheel/tire combo that won't fit?

I was pondering the possibility of making a little rack to hold a few quarts of motor oil and maybe some other fluids.

So, lets hear/see your ideas!

:banana::banana:

Well... since my Lifted BumbleBeast runs on 15" Wheels, I Relocated some things to the Spare wheel Area... Now the Spare Wheel (another 15") goes in the Back.

I Relocated The Coolant Overflow Tank (Because I Needed the its Original Placement for an Extra Relay Box and Ballast for the H.I.D.'s ) and The Vacuum Acumulator Bottle, and Also I Placed an Oil Catch Can there:

Relocation.jpg

Kind Regards.

I now have engine envy Dave, thanks for sharing. I like everything I'm seeing/hearing so far, although my personal preferences don't get along with the flipping the donut idea. If I don't need/can't use it, I'm not going to carry it around with me.

the donut does serve a purpose. it becomes a ''tray'' for a whole kit of usefull things. it just happens to fit snug and doesnt require modding anything, unless you count the tiedown bolt delete. also it acts as an isulator so i know nothings gonna burn up in there

I've seen people put an air tank in there attached to a compressor.

If and/or when I get around to needing a bigger tire I have also considered customizing a toolbox in that spot. I'm forever setting my tools in there when I'm working on the car anyway, so why not make it official? Or maybe some sort of nesting deal where there is a spot for oil/coolant/cables/etc, and an upper tray with a magnetic lining that would just hold bolts and nuts when I work on the motor (tools would go somewhere else).

Edited by man on the moon

i would be interested to see what one could come up with that fullfills all benifits of le donut whilst weighing less. i tried a few different things (fullsize 13'' was too small in center and too tall). i also ziptie a gallon of coolant in a horizontal position near the PS strut tower (ziptie handle to ''strut tower brace''/spare rack). donut spare=not heavy (or remove rubber? to each their own. im not tryin to troll or even convert anyone (nobody said i was =) just clarifying my solution to a few cubic feet of real estate that exists in our quirkmobiles cheers, RV

I once had a bad radiator and couldn't afford one for a few months so I took the A/C condenser out (A/C didn't work) and put it up where the spare wheel sits with an electric fan on the condenser then hooked it to my heater hoses. It cooled the engine very well.

*thumbs up* I like that!

I had a spare factory jack laying around and put it there. I figure two crappy scissor jacks is better than one..... ;) They don't work too well now with the lift though.

But anyway the bolt that held the spare in, also holds a scissor jack nicely.

Probably going to build a cargo box to go there. Or just bolt a large ammo box in to hold some stuff. There was a time I was gonna shorten the front of the car and move the radiator up there. But that project will never happen it seems.... :o (Can only afford to have the vehicle down for an afternoon at a time)

what's with the couple people with the oil catch cans? Is this a fix for an inherent issue with ea82's? Or are their engines worn enough to blow tons of oil in the pcv system.

It's one of the major features of a weber upgrade, among other things.

Yes, and the interesting part in my BumbleBeast's Setup is that the Hose to the Oil Catch Can went too Long and Up, that the Oil hasn't reached the Catch Can Yet! ... :brow: ... but Before I installed it, there were Oil Blowin' thru the Shorter Hose.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118239&page=3

Kind Regards.

Think I'm going to get a hold of a welder and some sheet steel when i get home from working out of town.

I've got an idea in my head of building a storage box that would bolt down using the spare tire holder, and have a handle so you could take it with you around/under the car.

i flip the spare and keep jumper cables, a bottle of oil, and a smaller 4 way tire iron.

my 3door is occupeid by ej22 intake tubing.

I use the pare tire tray to keep bolts and wrenches when pulling motors or other routine maintenance.

in non turbo cars, there is plenty of room above the passenger cv axle to keep a bottle of coolant.

i also flip the charcoal canister over the intake and use its holster to keep a bottle of oil.

i flip the spare and keep jumper cables, a bottle of oil, and a smaller 4 way tire iron.

my 3door is occupeid by ej22 intake tubing.

I use the pare tire tray to keep bolts and wrenches when pulling motors or other routine maintenance.

in non turbo cars, there is plenty of room above the passenger cv axle to keep a bottle of coolant.

i also flip the charcoal canister over the intake and use its holster to keep a bottle of oil.

I like that pulling motors is "routine maintenance" :clap: (I keep tools there when working on the car, too)