Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt and ignition timing questions

So I have spfi 1990 loyale and did timing belts,tensioners, and pulleys as well as head gaskets and main seals, I got everything dropped in and I can't get it to start...I'm pretty sure its the timing at the dizzy (I hope) but was wondering if I did the cams correct? I followed Milesfox video on youtibe "the art of subaru maintance" and did drivers side cam up then rotated it till pointing down and installed passenger side with cam hole was up and driver down.

Anyways I can't get car to start correctly, it will start and sound like garbage with full pedal but it barely breathes and dies with pedal release....I also am hearing a "clicking" from fuel pump and somewhere in ecu or behind it? (Fuel pump relay I think)

Going to fiddle with dizzy again, any help is MUCH appreciated!

-Nomad

i cant seem to find a picture so show it, but one cam should be pointing up and one should be pointing down. when the crank is a 0 Degrees(shown under the black plug) 90 degrees. (pointing up and the mark on the crank)

check the crank.

and if thats looking good,,,,, then you need to check your timming with a timing light (to show if you distributer is on)

prolly off if you saying it has a hard start, and you did the HGs.

I got my car running!!! But I have the green plastic and white connectors up by furl filter, if they are unplugged I can gas and the check engine light is on, but if I plug them in I can't push on gas without it dying.

Do I need to save the timing some how?

-Nomad

The green plugs are for when you put a timming light in it, it shuts the Ecu offish so you can read the correct timming of the car. The Ecu corrects what's off in the timming when plugged of un plugged. Can't remember.

All this that your saying is telling me that your timming is off! Do you have a timming light to check it?

If you loosen the Distributer, at idel and turn it left and right, it'll change the timming by hand. And by doing so you can hear the idel change, advancing and retarding the timming. I'm damn good with out a timming light, I can hear the engine and tell when it's on. And 99.9% of the time it's dead on.

The black plastic rubber thing near where the motor butts up to the tranny on the right passedure side is where you out a timming light one and it'll tell you the degree it's running at.

Let me know if that works

the timing belts are aligned to the 3 hash marks and not the o deg mark. once the belts are installed, and the rank has rotated 360 deg back to the starting point, continue to rotate to the o deg mark to line your disty.

the am dots point at the hard edges of the valve covers whn at o deg. rotor points at the brake MC. #1 on the cap is to the right of the rear screw/clip.

setting the disty gear can feel vague. you want to 'feel' for an 'in between' tooth to insert to.

the test connectors remain unplugged, unless you are setting the static timing with a light, and to cycle the fuel pump circuit.

there is a write up about the timing belts that has step by step pics if the video didn't explain it well enough.

you may be a tooth off on the timing belt.

good luck!

I figured it out! It was a tooth off on the dizzy , and I also got a question about the test connectors, if I plug it in, I can't give gas at all or it just dies, if unplugged I can gas but the check engine light will be on?? I haven't timed it with light yet for I'm out if town.

Miles, those videos are more then helpful and easy to follow! The only reason I decided to do the job myself was because of your step by step videos! Thanks man!!! SERIOUSLY!

-Nomad

Well with the white and green connectors unplugged the check eng light is telling you something. Pull the codes and see what they say theres a write up about it in the usrm under engine electrical its on the second page.

The green connector is for stopping the timing from advancing so it can be set makesure you mark the 20* mark on the flywheel with some white out to make it more visible.