Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake and exhaust sizing question

Uberoo

I have a phase 1 ej22 in my offroader that I need to build a snorkel and an exhaust for. I was planning on running a 2 1/4" straightpipe (might add a glasspack) exhaust .The snorkel will be connected to the car through a airbox I had from a mazda 2200 diesel.So I will have to neck down the factory 3" air intake down to 2 1/2".On the other side of the mazda airbox it will be 3" pvc to the roof.

I am wondering if either intake or exhaust will kill top end end power?

thanks in advance.

I have a 2.5 and am running a 2 1/4" exhaust. Will be going down to a 2 inch pipe after an EL Header swap down the road. 2 1/4" Exhaust flows nice and runs great but I don't have low end torque with the OEM Y pipe and free flow exhaust (removed last cat/ resonator). I should have gone 2" :banghead:. I don't know if Grimmspeed is still making manifold spacers for the 22 but they sure are nice to have if you have the extra 10mm of space above (haven't done nor seen an EJ swap yet that wasn't lifted). I know 1 7/8 pipe is good for an EA but not sure on the EJ and didn't keep the OEM exhaust nor measure it when I replaced it.

I have a 2.5 and am running a 2 1/4" exhaust. Will be going down to a 2 inch pipe after an EL Header swap down the road. 2 1/4" Exhaust flows nice and runs great but I don't have low end torque. I should have gone 2" :banghead:. I don't know if Grimmspeed is still making manifold spacers for the 22 but they sure are nice to have if you have the extra 10mm of space above (haven't done nor seen an EJ swap yet that wasn't lifted). I know 1 7/8 pipe is good for an EA but not sure on the EJ and didn't keep the OEM exhaust nor measure it when I replaced it.